VMU, Orange/Blue Lines and Compatibility

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Jose Chito Vela

VMU, Orange/Blue Lines and Compatibility

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

Colleagues,

The Housing and Planning Committee meeting on Tuesday, May 31st is posted for discussion and possible action regarding proposed changes to Vertical Mixed Use buildings. I will offer the following proposal to the Committee, with the hope that we can make a recommendation to the full council for action as part of the VMU code changes set for consideration at our June 9th meeting. I offer this as an amendment to CM Kitchen's proposed VMU2 substitute.

1) For VMU properties along the Project Connect Orange (including extensions) and Blue Rail Lines, compatibility limits will not apply more than 100 feet from the property line of a triggering property.

2) For VMU properties along the Project Connect Orange (including extensions) and Blue Rail Lines, the minimum off street parking will be 25% of that required in Appendix A, a reduction from the 60% requirement for other VMU properties.

3) Allow VMU properties along the Project Connect Orange (including extensions) and Blue Rail Lines to achieve zero on-site parking if appropriate conditions are met.

For item 3, my staff and I are exploring current parking reduction rules and hope to bring forward a more concrete proposal as soon as possible. The idea would be to allow for additional parking reductions based on site specific factors or even for a waiver of all parking requirements for properties very close to a light rail station or that meet other similar requirements.

I greatly appreciate the working groups draft proposal on limiting compatibility and look forward to continued discussions regarding other corridors throughout the city. However, I believe limiting compatibility along our soon to be built light rail lines is likely an item that has broad support on council. Immediate code changes increasing housing capacity on our light rail lines can help add both market rate and affordable housing in the short term. This should help slow the large cost increases renters have recently seen.

In addition, Project Connect is the most important environmental project in a generation, and a tremendous opportunity to reduce automobile traffic and our carbon footprint. Every additional housing unit we can add along our rail lines amplifies the positive environmental impacts of this project.

Timing is also important; making these changes now will help our scores as we seek federal funding for Project Connect next year. Zoning changes allowing for additional housing along our planned light rail lines shows the federal government Austin is serious about the long-term success of our transit network.

Passing a code change on VMU helps build confidence as we enter the larger conversation about compatibility and parking requirements on all of our corridors.

Sincerely,

Chito Vela
Ann Kitchen

Re: VMU, Orange/Blue Lines and Compatibility

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Councilmember Vela -

I appreciate your proposed amendment to my VMU2 substitute and look forward to our discussion on this item at the Housing and Planning Committee on Tuesday. Your proposal would accomplish an immediate and important step towards increasing market rate and affordable housing opportunities along our most important corridors, the Orange and Blue Line light rail corridors. I plan on accepting your amendment, should our colleagues agree to move forward with the VMU2 substitute.

I agree that timing is critical – this is the year to submit the Project Connect rail line proposal to the federal government for funding. Demonstrating the city’s commitment to housing, (aligned with ATP, CapMetro, and the community’s Project Connect efforts), will be helpful in securing federal funding at the most advantageous matching rate possible.

I also appreciate the working group’s draft proposal on relaxing compatibility and look forward to further discussion about the corridors proposed under that draft. I am expecting the Council will reach consensus on moving forward with initiating compatibility changes.

Thank you for your initiative. We have the opportunity with your proposal to take immediate action with regard to the light rail lines as part of expanding the successful VMU program.

Best
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5