Item #33: Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP)

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Item #33: Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP)

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

Re: Item #33: Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP)

To the extent possible, it would be really helpful if everyone would daylight proposed amendments prior to Thursday’s council meeting by bringing them to tomorrow’s work session or posting them on the message board before Wednesday evening.

We should try to avoid handing out amendments on Thursday with an expectation that everyone will feel comfortable voting on them without having had the opportunity to consider and vet them. If there are a lot of Thursday amendments, we should probably consider passing the ASMP on second reading only (so there is more time to vet late amendments before final approval on third reading on another day).

I further recommend our base motion on Thursday be to approve the ASMP with the staff-recommended amendments that are included in Exhibit B. This exhibit incorporates much of what was recommended by our boards and commissions into the ASMP.

At tomorrow’s work session, we should discuss whether it makes sense not to use amendments to the ASMP document to debate and decide land use issues that might be more appropriately a part of the Land Development Code conversation the Manager has initiated.

-s
Mayor
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Thank you Mayor for the suggestions.

Colleagues, I intend to move approval of the ASMP with the staff-recommended amendments included in Exhibit B. I believe staff has done a good job including many of the recommended changes and that this is a good base motion from which we can proceed with any other potential amendments.

Best,
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

Colleagues, as promised earlier today in our work session, here are the amendments that I will offer on Thursday. My staff worked with the ASMP team to vet the amendments. They helped craft the wording offered here and have no objections to them being adopted.

Amendments:

Language on Transit Priority Network and Imagine Austin Growth Concept Map

Proposed language to include on pg. 37 about updates to the Transit Priority Network in the description of the map:
“The Imagine Austin Growth Concept is supported by the Transit Priority Network, linking land use with transportation. By providing fast, reliable, and efficient transit options along these Imagine Austin Activity Corridors into our Activity Centers we will be able to promote infill and redevelopment in these desired locations. This linkage should reduce per capita car use and increase walking, bicycling, and transit use. The Transit Priority Network should be expanded in the future to serve additional Imagine Austin Centers by regularly coordinating with Capital Metro during transit service plan updates and service changes.”

Mobility Hubs:
Add “civic space” to Mobility Hubs discussion and action items

In Chapter 2, Shared Mobility Policy 3 (pg. 72)
Mobility hubs play a vital role in the network by facilitating safe and easy connections between shared travel modes, as places for people to switch from a personal vehicle to a shared mobility service. Mobility hubs are more than a typical transit station or park-and-ride facility. They create welcoming and attractive civic spaces places for travelers that include amenities, information resources, and a variety of both public and private transit services. Mobility hubs can be coupled with placemaking efforts, creating safe, accessible and connected places for people to engage with fellow passengers and the wider community.

Action Item #60, Mobility hubs (pg. 270)
“Create multimodal mobility hubs, including park-and-rides, adjacent to transit stops to offer a variety of first- and last-mile mobility options and a complete trip experience. Incorporate community-knowledge sharing, maintenance programming, and integrating civic space where strategic.”

Action Item #270, Funding for mobility infrastructure at transit stations and mobility hubs (pg. 289)
“Partner with Capital Metro to pursue transit grant funding to expand active transportation and shared micromobility infrastructure feeding transit stations and mobility hubs, and review opportunities during redevelopment to provide civic space where needed for the mobility hub.”
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

Colleagues,

Below, please find a link to the amendment document I passed out at work session yesterday. These revisions address east-west connectivity, TDM enforcement, and land use. We took care not to complicate the flow of the ASMP, and staff has no opposition to my amendments. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Link: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 112115.pdf

Regards,
Alison Alter
Jimmy Flannigan

Post by Jimmy Flannigan »

Looking forward to moving the ASMP forward tomorrow! Here are my amendments, mostly the same as what I passed out during work session three weeks ago and including some minor changes on the policy text.

Motion #1 (roads): http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 163047.pdf
Motion #2 (transit): http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 155940.pdf
Motion #3 (trails): http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 160010.pdf
Motion #4 (policies): http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 160023.pdf

Also, I did not prepare an amendment related to transit-supportive densities (it's my understanding others may be doing that) but I wanted to provide the study I've been looking at that leads me to believe it needs to be higher than what is in the staff recommendation: https://www.psrc.org/sites/default/file ... epaper.pdf. The 'Major findings on Recommended Densities by Transit Mode' start on page 20 of the study and the 'Density Benchmarks by Transit Mode Table' is on page 24.
Jimmy Flannigan
Council Member, District 6
Greg Casar

Post by Greg Casar »

Colleagues,

I will be offering the following amendment to the ASMP map and table. I’ve included some background information in the document and below. http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 163659.pdf

The amendment would direct the staff to remove the connectivity barrier (sometimes known as the “pork chop”) in District 4 on Morrow Street. This barrier does not allow people to drive from the east side of Lamar to the west side of Lamar (the west side of Lamar in this case is District 7). However, the barrier as it is currently constructed does allow for traffic to run from the west side of Lamar to the east (into District 4).

Staff has determined that removal of the barrier would increase connectivity for families and public safety vehicles, reduce vehicle miles traveled, and improve safety for District 4 drivers, while not creating traffic volumes that are higher than normal for this kind of street. Staff has identified a need for sidewalks on both sides of Morrow near this intersection (they already exist on one side; staff prefers them on both sides near the intersection when barrier is removed). I am happy to discuss potentially contributing to this sidewalk issue along with removal of the unnecessary barrier.

Removal of this barrier is aligned with our goals in the ASMP, and aligned with the amendment proposed by MPT Garza. I look forward to discussing this tomorrow.

-Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Dear Colleagues,
Below are my intended amendments. In the instances where I'm adding language, I've designated that with asterisks.

Additional language in the new action item for the ACT Plan (B-58):

Rainey Neighborhood
New Action Item: Complete the Austin Core Transportation (ACT) Plan, an update to the 2022 Downtown Access and Mobility Plan. The ACT will serve as a decision-making tool for downtown transportation planning, project development, operations, and demand management, with the goal of making decisions more transparent and predictable for all stakeholders. Outcomes include the identification of TDM strategies, multimodal projects, priority segments, and spatial needs to support mobility to, from, and within downtown for all users.
*The ACT Plan study area includes the Central Business District, South Central Waterfront, connections to MoPac and I-35, and adjacent neighborhoods, including the Rainey neighborhood.*

Childcare costs
The second paragraph of the Affordability subchapter introduction reads, “Transportation costs are often a household’s second highest expense after housing.”

Propose adding the following footnote: *“For families with children, transportation costs are often a household’s second the next highest expense after housing and childcare.”*

Additional language for new annexation action item (B-65)

Update administrative process*es* to provide staff comments on potential annexations, *PIDs, MUDs, and PUDs* to include information on multimodality, connectivity, and impact on mode share goals.

Add an action item on p. 289 under Financial Strategies:
*Discover opportunities to reduce costs by testing strategies before investing significant resources in long-term infrastructure projects.*

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Council Member District 9
Council District 9
Daniel Segura-Kelly

Post by Daniel Segura-Kelly »

Friends and colleagues,

Here are the amendments I hope to offer to the ASMP during tomorrow’s meeting. I hope some of these will set clearer targets as we work to achieve our desired 50-50 mode split.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 172134.pdf

Thanks,

Natasha Harper-Madison

dsk
Executive Council Aide
Julie Montgomery

Post by Julie Montgomery »

On behalf of CM Ellis:

Dear colleagues,

I intend to bring one amendment tomorrow regarding the Transit Enhancement Program (formerly Transit Priority Policy), following our discussion with staff at work session. This amendment aligns with existing staff plans, and they are comfortable with the language below. My thanks to CM Kitchen for her work on this topic as well.

I will move to amend Action Item 83 on page 276 of the draft Austin Strategic Mobility Plan to read as follows (asterisks indicate difference from Exhibit B-61, staff proposed changes):
“Develop Transit Enhancement Program guidelines that include strategies for transit enhancement treatments, *criteria for* when to apply them, and metrics for periodic review of high-capacity transit corridors and initiation of lane dedication. *These guidelines will be developed with public input and documented in the Transportation Criteria Manual.*”

Thanks!
Paige
Chief of Staff
Office of Mayor Pro Tem Paige Ellis, District 8
Jimmy Flannigan

Post by Jimmy Flannigan »

Here is one additional motion document I've handed out on the dais

Motion #5 (transit policy): http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 125653.pdf
Jimmy Flannigan
Council Member, District 6