Remaining 2022 Council Meetings

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Remaining 2022 Council Meetings

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

Below is the schedule for the remaining 2022 meetings that we discussed at Tuesday's work session. I've verified these dates with the Agenda and Clerk's office. I included the dates for the Austin Energy Base Rate Review issue following discussions with AEUOC Chair Pool and AE staff.

No Council action is needed to set this schedule, so staff will proceed if no changes are needed.

• Tuesday, October 25 and Thursday, October 27 - Work Session and Council Meeting

• Tuesday, November 1 and Thursday, November 3 - Work Session and Council Meeting
- Work Session will include AE Staff Briefing on rate structure + cost of service, followed by Council Discussion

• Wednesday, November 9 - AE Base Rate Review
- Invited testimony from IHE, ICA, Base Rate Participants and AE, followed by Council Discussion (no action)

• Tuesday, November 15 - Special Called Council Meeting
- November 17 meeting is cancelled.
- AE Base Rate Public Hearing and Council Discussion (no action)
- Regular Council Agenda with no Work Session. Any requests from a Council Member for a postponement will be respected. This should not preclude anyone from posting an item, and in fact, it is encouraged that even items that may be postponed to the next meeting should still be posted to give everyone more time to review them.

• Monday, November 21 - Special Called Council Meeting at 9:30am (will be convened before Audit and Finance Committee Meeting)
- Canvass the results of the November election and call the December Runoff election: 7 votes necessary.

• Tuesday, November 29 - Work Session (for Council meetings later this week)
- AE staff briefing, followed by Council Discussion (AEUOC meeting also scheduled for this day)

• Wednesday, November 30 and Thursday, December 1 - Council Meetings
- My schedule has changed, so I could do the 1st and 2nd (Thursday and Friday) if that is preferred and enough people request by replying to this post.
- Joint Project Connect Meeting on November 30 at 1pm
- AE Base Rate public Hearing, following by Council Discussion and possible action (The AE item will be posted for 12/1, with 12/8 added if needed)
- There will be no addendum for this meeting due to the Thanksgiving Holiday

• Tuesday, December 6 - Work Session (for Council meetings later this week)

• Wednesday, December 7 and Thursday, December 8 - Council Meetings
- I could do the 8th and 9th (Thursday and Friday) if that is preferred and enough people request by replying to this post.
- The agenda will post a week early on November 18 due to the Thanksgiving Holiday. The addendum will still post on December 2.

-S
Mayor
Paige Ellis

Re: Remaining 2022 Council Meetings

Post by Paige Ellis »

Thank you for laying out this schedule, Mayor. My preference for the Dec 1st and Dec 8th meetings would be to have Thursday/Friday meetings (Dec 1st/2nd and Dec 8th/9th) instead of Wednesday/Thursday.

As I mentioned during the work session, Wednesdays are valuable in giving our offices time to get our questions from the work session answered by staff so that we can be prepared to keep items on the consent agenda on Thursday if possible. It also will be more predictable for those who wish to provide public comment prior to our deliberations.

Thank you,
Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

Mayor, thanks for assembling all the dates in this coherent list. The dates proposed below work well at my end. CM Ellis' point about needing time between work session and voting session is well-taken, and I agree that the Thurs-Fri combo is better than Wed-Thurs. NOTE: It's possible that I'll be in work-related travel status on Dec 9, and if that happens (and depending on flight schedules) then I will try to connect remotely to the extent that's possible.

It's crazy that we're down to our last meetings for 2022! Where did the year go?!

Best to all,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

Thank you for assembling these possible dates, Steve.

For December, broadly I too prefer a Thursday meeting with the ability to extend into Friday for further deliberation. However, I want to note that on December 9th the Joint Subcommittee of the City, County, and AISD is currently scheduled to meet in Council Chambers from 11:30 AM-1:30 PM. If we want to meet on the 9th, we may need to ask ACM Hayden-Howard to coordinate with the other bodies and CM Fuentes, CM Tovo and myself to find an alternate date for that joint meeting the following week. I especially think it is important for the Council to not try and meet on the same day as a Tri-Party meeting for Project Connect (i.e. Nov. 30) so I would definitely want to have the possibility to extend our Dec. 1 meeting to Dec. 2nd.

I also wondered if you could provide a bit more clarity on the plan for November 9th with respect to timeframe, content, and allowable testimony / public hearing rules for the AE rate case.

Thank you, Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Natasha Harper-Madison

Post by Natasha Harper-Madison »

Thank you, Mayor.

I am in agreement with my colleagues. My preference for the Dec. 1st and 8th meetings would be to extend them to Friday if needed.

Kind Regards,
Natasha
Natasha Harper-Madison
Council Member District 1
Jose Chito Vela

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

I prefer to continue the Dec 1 and Dec 8 meetings into Friday if necessary. We should keep Wednesdays free for prep.

Chito
Vanessa Fuentes

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

Same. Friday meetings if necessary are preferred.

Thanks!
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2
Louisa Brinsmade

Post by Louisa Brinsmade »

On behalf of CM Pool, I am posting the following message regarding the upcoming AE Base Rate Review meetings.

Colleagues:

I’d like to add more detail regarding the November 9 Special Called meeting. I suggest that we post it as an Austin Energy Utility Oversight Committee meeting on the Base Rate Review with a 10am start time. As part of our review process, we normally host presentations from the multiple parties who have participated in the rate review, including from AE itself. The recent Electric Utility Commission meeting on September 12 is a good example of such presentations, where the participants came and gave their testimony on the utility’s rate proposal. A Nov. 9 AEUOC meeting would remain focused on the invited participants and upon follow-up council questions and discussion.

For the Nov. 9 meeting, I’ve asked Austin Energy to invite the following rate review participants for their testimony and presentations, in the following order:

1. Austin Energy – opening remarks (5 min)
2. Independent Hearing Examiner – report presentation (10 min)
3. Independent Consumer Advocate – report and update presentation (10 min)
4. Formal Participants (14 total invited – 5 min each):
• Independent Consumer Advocate (ICA)
• Sierra Club and Public Citizen
• Solar and Storage Coalition
• Solar United Neighbors
• 2WR
• Homeowners United for Rate Fairness
• Paul Robbins
• Victor Martinez, Austin Energy Customer
• Coalition for Clean Affordable and Reliable Energy (CCARE)
• Data Foundry, LLC
• Austin Regional Manufacturers Assn (ARMA)
• National Instruments
• Texas Industrial Energy Consumers (TIEC)
• NXP Semiconductor

5. Austin Energy – presentation and closing comments (10 min)
6. Council questions for presenters
7. Council discussion (no action)

On November 15, we will invite the Chair of the Electric Utility Commission to present the recommendations for council (The EUC will have voted on its recommendations for the council on November 14, and they are the only commission that holds an official role in this process.) We should also hold a formal public hearing on that date.

December 1 will be the final public hearing, council discussion, and scheduled vote on the Base Rate, and I will request a time certain of 4pm in order to ensure we hold a public hearing after work hours. I anticipate we would also pull the item for the November 29 work session, at which point we can discuss our options and prepare ourselves for Thursday. I leave open the possibility of us adding December 8, if needed.

Looking forward to our discussions.

Leslie
Chief of Staff
Office of Mayor Pro Tem Leslie Pool, District 7
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Mayor,
I would also prefer scheduling additional meeting times on Fridays rather than the Wednesday options.

Regards,
Ann Kitchen
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Steve Adler

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

Thank you for responding promptly. We will set the two December meetings for Thursday and Friday (Dec 1 & 2, Dec 8 & 9) and I will ask staff to set public hearings accordingly.

Also, my initial post includes an error -- the 12/8 agenda will post on 12/2, not 11/18, and there will not be an addendum for that meeting.

-S
Mayor