Concerns about Overflow of Dogs at the Austin Animal Center and Request for Information

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Mackenzie Kelly

Concerns about Overflow of Dogs at the Austin Animal Center and Request for Information

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to bring your attention to a matter of importance that requires action. During my recent visit to the Austin Animal Center, I discovered a distressing situation concerning the overflow of dogs housed in temporary crates at the truck port behind the center. With scorching temperatures expected to reach triple digits this week, it is imperative that the City addresses the safety and well-being of these dogs immediately.

In addition to my concerns about the overflow, I have raised several questions that I believe warrant further investigation by our Interim City Manager. I kindly request your assistance in sharing any additional concerns you may have regarding the Austin Animal Center here. A copy of the memorandum requesting information I delivered to our Interim City Manager today regarding this topic can be viewed here: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 095611.pdf

While I understand that an ongoing audit of the Austin Animal Center is underway, I strongly believe that we must actively seek immediate solutions to these pressing issues. Our community shares deep concerns about the welfare of these animals, and it is our duty to address their needs promptly.

Please share your concerns, insights, or additional questions in response to this memo. Let's work collaboratively to find practical solutions.

Thank you for your unwavering dedication to our community and its animals.

Warm regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6
Leslie Pool

Re: Concerns about Overflow of Dogs at the Austin Animal Center and Request for Information

Post by Leslie Pool »

Thank you, CM Kelly, for detailing your experience of the critical conditions at Austin Animal Shelter. I share your concern, particularly with the rising temperatures. As I understand it from conversations with our staff, emergency measures are underway to alleviate the overcrowding and we will be hearing more details in an official memo by the end of this week.

Last year, Council approved an effectiveness audit of the Animal Services Department that my co-sponsors and I initiated: https://services.austintexas.gov/edims/ ... ?id=389102

The audit will be completed in August, and should provide Council, the City Manager, and department leadership with a comprehensive examination of the operations, management, and effectiveness of the department, as well clear pathways for improvement.

I am happy to work with you and other colleagues on short- and long-term remedies for this department. After several years of working on this issue, I am more convinced than ever that we cannot do this alone. We need the help of animal advocacy groups and volunteers, and a more collaborative approach to managing animal welfare in our community.

I look forward to working together.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7