Item 45 - Amendments

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Alison Alter

Item 45 - Amendments

Post by Alison Alter »

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to offer two amendments to item 45 (compatibility). My first amendment, which I believe was agreed to at work session yesterday, adds RR and LA to the list of zoning categories defined as triggering properties.

The second amendment builds off our Strategic Housing Blueprint which states: “density bonus programs are one of the few tools the City has to create income-restricted affordable units without monetary subsidy. Density bonus programs contribute to the geographic dispersion of affordable housing and foster public-private collaborations that yield affordable housing without the use of public subsidies”. The City’s Strategic Housing Blueprint also lists the implementation of a consistent density bonus program for Imagine Austin Centers and Corridors as a strategy with the highest potential impact for the creation of affordable housing. The City’s Strategic Housing Blueprint further recommended that, “the revised Land Development Code should implement a consistent density bonus program for Imagine Austin Activity Centers and Corridors where larger buildings are deemed acceptable. These centers and corridors allow people to reside, work, shop, access services, and recreate without traveling far distances…Any increase in development capacity will be tied to an affordability requirement. The City should incentivize and provide additional opportunities for housing units with two bedrooms or more, particularly in high opportunity areas. The existing density bonus programs have resulted in income-restricted affordable units in high opportunity areas along transit corridors with no subsidy by the City of Austin”.

My amendment is intended to align this resolution with the Strategic Housing Blueprint and tie any significant increase in development capacity to an affordability requirement. Our Strategic Housing Blueprint set a goal of 60,000 affordable units and I do not believe that, as originally drafted, item 45 advances that goal.

Amendment 1: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 133225.pdf
Amendment 2: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 133319.pdf

Regards,

Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10