Amendments for Items 48 and 71 for the June 1st, 2023 Council Meeting

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Mackenzie Kelly

Amendments for Items 48 and 71 for the June 1st, 2023 Council Meeting

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Colleagues,

There are two items on the June 1st, 2023 Council agenda that I would like to highlight.

Item 48 is a resolution of significant importance, as it pertains to code amendments in City Code Title 25 regarding dwelling unit occupancy limits. During our productive work session, I raised some valid concerns about the potential impact this resolution may have on communities throughout our city.

To address these concerns and ensure a thorough understanding of the situation, I am proposing an amendment. This amendment would direct the City Manager to conduct a comprehensive study of the areas affected by these proposed changes. Additionally, it considers feedback from the community and would establish a stakeholder working group consisting of members from the impacted areas.

By undertaking this study and forming a stakeholder working group, we can gather valuable insights from the communities directly affected by the proposed amendments. This collaborative approach will enable us to make informed decisions that consider the diverse perspectives and unique needs of our residents.

I firmly believe that by engaging in this process, we can strike a balance that upholds the integrity of our city's regulations while respecting the interests and well-being of our communities.

Amendment: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 142530.pdf

Item 71 on the council addendum for the June 1st council meeting holds great significance. It focuses on decreasing the effectiveness of license plate reader technology by lowering our data retention time. 

Following an insightful work session with Assistant Chief Greenwalt today, I am presenting an amendment that aims to strike the perfect balance.

My amendment proposes extending the data retention time from seven days in the proposed resolution to a more reasonable fifteen days. This extension will enable us to harness the full potential of this technology in combating heinous crimes such as kidnapping, repeat offenses, and human trafficking. In lieu of utilizing the previously agreed to and voted on 30 days, I believe that by granting officers a timeframe of 15 days, we empower them to utilize the data more effectively.

In light of the current challenges our law enforcement faces, including officer shortages and longer investigation initiation times, this amendment serves as a constructive compromise. This amendment provides our dedicated officers with a valuable and indispensable tool while respecting my colleagues concerns for appropriate data retention.

I believe this amendment represents a positive step forward, ensuring the safety and well-being of our community while equipping our officers with the necessary resources to fulfill their duties diligently. 

Amendment: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 142259.pdf

Thank you for your valuable time and thoughtful consideration of these amendments. I am genuinely looking forward to collaborating with you in crafting policies that will create a safer and more secure community for all.

Warm regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6