Item 43 - Narcan Resolution

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Vanessa Fuentes

Item 43 - Narcan Resolution

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

Colleagues,

Last summer, the city council unanimously passed a resolution that I brought forward declaring opioid overdoses a public health crisis in Austin and set in motion harm reduction strategies to address the overdose crisis. I want to thank Council Member Kelly and all cosponsors for bringing forward Item 43 to build on the city’s harm reduction efforts. After meeting with harm reduction advocates, city staff and partners, I would like to propose a friendly amendment on Item 43.

Amend the last resolve to read:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The City Manager is directed to explore and consider opportunities to place Narcan and Opioid Kits in any recommended City-owned buildings inside of the automated external defibrillators’ compartments or within their own compartment, and to partner with CapMetro to explore opportunities to equip appropriate CapMetro staff with Narcan and Opioid Kits.

Thank you for your consideration.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2
Mackenzie Kelly

Re: Item 43 - Narcan Resolution

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Thank you Councilmember Fuentes for bringing this forward.

I fully support the objective of your amendment, which I believe is a significant addition to my resolution. I have integrated it into the revised version of my resolution, and I sincerely appreciate our collaborative effort on this matter.

I have incorporated your amendment in version two of my resolution and I thank you for collaborating with me on this.

Version Two can be viewed here and has been sent to the agenda office: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 144452.pdf

Warm Regards,

-mk
Council Member, District 6
Alison Alter

Re: Item 43 - Narcan Resolution

Post by Alison Alter »

Council Member Kelly, thank you for your leadership on this resolution. Council Member Fuentes, thank you for your strong work on this issue, as well. I would like to be included as a co-sponsor on this resolution.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10