Public Safety Committee Agenda - April 24th

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Colleen Pate

Public Safety Committee Agenda - April 24th

Post by Colleen Pate »

Council:
The next meeting of the Public Safety Committee is scheduled for April 24th at 2pm. I know public safety is an important issue for all the members of this Council, so I would like to invite all Council Members to offer suggested agenda items. If you have an agenda item that you would like the Public Safety Committee to discuss or receive a briefing on, please share in the comments on this post.

Thank you,
Kirk

On behalf of Mayor Watson
Chief of Staff, Mayor Watson's Office
Mackenzie Kelly

Re: Public Safety Committee Agenda - April 24th

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Thank you, Mayor, for reminding us about the upcoming Public Safety Committee meeting on April 24th. As you mentioned, public safety is a crucial issue, and it is essential that we discuss all relevant topics thoroughly.

I would like to suggest a few agenda items for the committee to consider:

• Discussion on community policing and building better relationships between law enforcement and the public.
• Review of current crime statistics and trends in the city.
• Briefing on domestic violence prevention programs and initiatives.
• Report on mental health response and resources.
• Review of public safety protocols in city buildings and facilities.
• Briefing on human trafficking and efforts to combat it in the city.
• Presentation on the city's disaster preparedness plan.
• Review of fire department response times and resources.
• Briefing on opioid addiction and efforts to address it in the city.
• Presentation on crime prevention through environmental design.
• Discussion on funding and resources for public safety programs and initiatives.

Feel free to indicate your interest in co-sponsoring any of these items and supporting their addition to the agenda for the upcoming April 24th meeting or any future meetings. You may do so by replying below with your expression of support.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and I look forward to a productive meeting. Thank you.

Warm Regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

Mayor,

Thank you for the opportunity to suggest agenda topics for the public safety committee. I would prioritize a briefing on the Police Academy with a focus on planned next steps to implement the recommendations found in the two most recent Kroll reports.

For those interested, I also want to flag that at our April 26th Audit and Finance meeting we will receive an update from CMO on the status of the Disaster Preparedness Audit recommendations.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Jose Chito Vela

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

I agree with CM Alison Alter about a briefing on the Police Academy and where we are with updating the curriculum, including incorporating the recommendations in the Kroll reports. This has been an ongoing issue that needs to be finalized.

Chito