Community Police Academy Change

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Jose Chito Vela

Community Police Academy Change

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

Colleagues,

During my office’s review of CM Kelly’s Citizen Police Academy resolution (item 26 on this week’s agenda), I learned that APD hopes to change the name of the academy to the Community Police Academy. This change was designed to align with the general order related to maintaining an impartial attitude towards citizenship status.

I checked with our APD liaison, who confirmed that the department would prefer the title Community Police Academy. In light of this information, I propose the following amendment which would correct the out-of-date name used in the original resolution.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 160848.pdf

CM Kelly, I hope you’ll consider accepting this amendment as friendly. I also want to extend my deep gratitude to the Austin Police Department for this positive change in language, as well as to the APD staff who assisted me in my inquiry.

Saludos,

Chito
Mackenzie Kelly

Re: Community Police Academy Change

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Dear CM Vela,

I wanted to reach out and express my appreciation for your proposed amendment to my Citizen Police Academy resolution. It is heartening to see that you have taken the time to research and engage with the program and that you have worked to ensure that it is aligned with current best practices.

As a graduate of the 100th Austin Police Department Citizen Police Academy, I know firsthand how important this program is for building trust and fostering positive relationships between law enforcement and the community. It is encouraging to learn that the Austin Police Department is taking steps to ensure that the program remains relevant and inclusive.

I am also grateful for your efforts to update the program's name within my resolution to the Community Police Academy. This change reflects our efforts to ensure that all Austinites have access to this invaluable training.

Once again, I want to express my sincere thanks for your work on this issue. Bringing the Community Police Academy back to the city of Austin is a vital step towards building stronger and more trusting relationships between law enforcement and the community. I look forward to continuing to work with you and our colleagues to support this important program.

Best regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6
Ryan Alter

Re: Community Police Academy Change

Post by Ryan Alter »

Colleagues,
I am happy to be a co-sponsor on item 26, but I also wanted to offer a small amendment for consideration:

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 102356.pdf

-Ryan
Council Member, District 5