Council Committees and Intergovernmental Entities Appointments Discussion

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Colleen Pate

Council Committees and Intergovernmental Entities Appointments Discussion

Post by Colleen Pate »

Council,
Please see the attached documents for discussion at the Work Session on January 24, 2023.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 084412.pdf

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 084742.pdf

Kirk

On behalf of Mayor Watson
Chief of Staff, Mayor Watson's Office
Colleen Pate

Re: Council Committees and Intergovernmental Entities Appointments Discussion

Post by Colleen Pate »

Council,
Please see the attached updated documents on Council Committees and Intergovernmental Entity Appointments that were discussed during the Work Session earlier today. Please note that I have highlighted changes and notes in yellow.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 160311.pdf
http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 161212.pdf

Below are the items that need attention:
1. Housing and Planning Committee
• Currently has six Council Members interested in serving. We can only have five Council Members serving as voting members of this committee.
• Please comment below if you are willing to roll off of this committee. Note that all Council Members can attend and participate in all
committees but can only vote if they are a member of the committee.
2. Austin/AISD/County Joint Committee
• The City of Austin can appoint three Council Members to the Joint Committee. We currently have four Council Members interested in serving.
Mayor Watson has withdrawn his name.
• Please comment below if you are willing to serve as an alternate on the Joint Committee.
3. Regional Affordability
• The City of Austin can appoint three Council Members to this committee. We currently have five Council Members interested in serving.
• Please comment below if you are willing to serve as an alternate on this committee.
4. Sobriety Center
• Replace Mayor Watson with Council Member Vela.

Kirk
Ryan Alter

Post by Ryan Alter »

Colleagues,
I appreciated our discussion of Council committee and intergovernmental appointments and am thankful for the Mayor’s draft proposal in guiding this work. I am particularly grateful for the support of fellow council members who suggested a leadership role on the Austin Water Oversight Committee for me and am happy to serve in whatever capacity the dais decides.

In the interest of providing clarity on my own priorities, I am most eager to participate in the Housing & Planning committee and would like to do so as Vice-Chair. If this means in the interest of equality amongst the new members that I am unable to also serve as vice-chair of the Austin Water Oversight Committee, that is fine by me. Like many of you, I hope to develop a number of policy initiatives to make Austin more affordable and it is my hope to do that work collaboratively within the Housing & Planning committee.

I had also submitted my name for both the Regional Affordability Committee and the City of Austin/ AISD / Travis County Joint Committee. I value the work of both of these groups, but between the two, I am happy to be an alternate or ex-officio appointee to the Regional Affordability Committee and would appreciate the opportunity to be one of the three Council Members appointed to fully participate in the Joint Committee.

Thank you again and I look forward to the work ahead.

Ryan
Council Member, District 5
Colleen Pate

Post by Colleen Pate »

Council,
I have pulled item 53 (Council Committees and Intergovernmental Entities Appointments) for the Council Meeting tomorrow, January 26th. We still have items involving three committees that need attention. Please give this a look and see if we can resolve these questions through the message board so that we’ll be in a position to vote on all of these committees tomorrow and taking minimal time.

1. Housing and Planning Committee
• Currently this committee has six Council Members interested in serving. We can only have five Council Members serving as voting members of this committee.
• Council Member R. Alter has confirmed he will serve as Vice Chair.
• Please comment below if you are willing to withdraw your name as a potential member of this committee. Note that all Council Members can attend and participate in all committees but can only vote if they are a member of the committee.
2. Austin/AISD/County Joint Committee
• The City of Austin can appoint three Council Members to the Joint Committee. We currently have four Council Members interested in serving. We had five, but I’ve withdrawn my name.
• Please comment below if you are willing to serve as an alternate on the Joint Committee. We need one Council Member to serve as an alternate.
3. Regional Affordability
• The City of Austin can appoint three Council Members to this committee. We currently have four Council Members interested in serving. We had five, but Council Member R. Alter has agreed to serve as an alternate.
• Please comment below if you are willing to serve as an alternate on this committee. We need one Council Member to serve as an alternate.

Kirk

Paige Ellis

Post by Paige Ellis »

Thank you for adding these updates, Mayor Watson.

I appreciated the dialogue around where everyone is interested in serving.

Housing & Planning:
I am happy to continue serving as a member and do not need to serve as Vice Chair. CM Ryan Alter will serve well in this position if he is appointed.

Visit Austin:
This is a board I am interested in serving on, but if there are too many people interested, I do see the benefit of having the Mayor and D9 CM Qadri serving in this capacity. I can always lend my support in an un-official role.

CAMPO/CapMetro:
I will be working through CAMPO's process for appointing a member to serve as their elected official position to the CapMetro board as I mentioned in Work Session.

Thank you,
MPT Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

Colleagues, I appreciate and concur with the offers Mayor Watson, MPT Ellis, and CM Ryan Alter have made to work through the last few issues relating to committees:
> CM R Alter to be vice chair of Planning & Housing, and
> CM Qadri to be appointed to Visit Austin.

After reviewing the mayor's and CM R Alter's updated preferences for the Joint Committee and the Regional Affordability Committee, it looks like we're very close to finalizing committee appointments across the board.

I support MPT Ellis's efforts to secure CAMPO's appointment to Cap Metro (this is the route CM Kitchen took successfully), where she would join CM Vela and me on that body. Mayor Watson's contributions via his new role on the Austin Transit Partnership firms up a strong focus on Project Connect for the City of Austin. We have a lot of work ahead there, and these appointments continue the City's long-standing commitment of energies and expertise to that work.

Thank you to all for the thoughtful consideration and participation.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7