Responding to Hate

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Alison Alter

Responding to Hate

Post by Alison Alter »

Dear Colleagues,

AFD is investigating an intentionally set fire that occurred last night at Congregation Beth Israel (CBI) in District 10. I have spoken with temple and city leadership, the ADL, AFD Chief Baker, and the Fire Marshal and understand that the AFD arson unit is working with the FBI, APD, and other regional law enforcement agencies to identify and apprehend the suspect(s). Fortunately, no one was hurt, and the fire department responded in a matter of minutes, mitigating the structural damage.

My family and I belong to Congregation Beth Israel and are disturbed by the increasing levels of antisemitic hate here in Austin. Coming on the heels of the events that took place in October, many people have requested guidance on how best to respond. I encourage you to share the resources offered by the Anti-Defamation League available here - http://www.adl.org.

On Friday, I posted a resolution condemning antisemitism, racism, and hate and calling on the City Manager to work to improve the City’s response to acts of hate. The resolution (item #64) is available here - https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/docum ... ?id=370519. Thank you to Mayor Adler and Council Members Fuentes, Tovo, and Kelly for co-sponsoring this resolution. I would like to invite all of you to join as co-sponsors so that we may show a united front against hate. These hateful acts do not represent our community.

Regards,

Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Leslie Pool

Re: Responding to Hate

Post by Leslie Pool »

CM Alter, I fully support your comments written below, and endorse the consistent work you and our ADL friends have done in pursuit of a safe community here. Hate has no place in Austin.
Please add my name as a co-sponsor of your resolution.

In solidarity,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Greg Casar

Post by Greg Casar »

Thank you, CM Alter, for leading on this. The rise in anti-semitic attacks in our communities is unacceptable. This kind of hate has no place here.

Please add me as a co-sponsor.

-Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Paige Ellis

Post by Paige Ellis »

CM Alter -

Thank you for bringing this important resolution. I would like to be added as a cosponsor. Hate has no place in our community, and we will stand together against it.

Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8
Natasha Harper-Madison

Post by Natasha Harper-Madison »

Council Member Alter,

East Austin joins West Austin and the whole of the city in standing against racism, bigotry, and antisemitism. I would be more than proud to cosponsor your resolution.

Kind Regards,
Natasha
Natasha Harper-Madison
Council Member District 1
Mackenzie Kelly

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Colleagues,

I will be bringing forth the attached motion sheet tomorrow on consent. By broadening our resolution and including these partners, we will ensure that our county and school districts are brought into the discussion and have the support that they need in order to fight anti-Semitic hate in our community.

This amendment is acceptable to the author and I appreciate the opportunity to co-sponsor this with CM Alter and my City Council colleagues.

-mk

Amendment: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 153404.doc
Council Member, District 6
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

CM Alter

I would like to add my support to the resolution you are bringing, and ask to be added as a co-sponsor. I appreciate your efforts and stand with the whole of the city in standing against racism, bigotry, and antisemitism.

Best
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5