2/4 - Item 32 - Forensics Dept

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Greg Casar

2/4 - Item 32 - Forensics Dept

Post by Greg Casar »

Colleagues,

After years of advocacy from survivors, justice reform advocates, and scientific organizations, I am glad that we have Item 32 on this week’s agenda. Establishing a Forensic Science Department --that is independent of law enforcement agencies-- is an important step for public safety, community trust, and transparency.

We've recently received a suggested amendment from SAFE, Survivor Justice Project, Austin Justice Coalition, Texas Fair Defense Project, and Just Liberty. The amendment makes clear that scientific integrity and the pursuit of justice are the clear goals of this new department. Attached is the amendment as sent to us by the advocates with slight wording changes suggested by our Law department.
http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 174732.pdf

I look forward to passing this item on Thursday, and I hope we can incorporate this amendment as part of our consent agenda.

-Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Ann Kitchen

Re: 2/4 - Item 32 - Forensics Dept

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Thank you CM Casar. I expect to support this amendment.

I also may have questions related to the pros and cons of moving toward an independent lab over time, as is done in Houston, if it is possible to protect current city employees wage and benefit levels.

Best
Ann Kitchen
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Natasha Harper-Madison

Re: 2/4 - Item 32 - Forensics Dept

Post by Natasha Harper-Madison »

Thank you for this CM Casar. These are in line with some of the changes I was working on, I fully support these additions.

Best,
NHM
Natasha Harper-Madison
Council Member District 1