August 8th Agenda Item #71

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

August 8th Agenda Item #71

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues
I want to thank CM Tovo and cosponsors CM Renteria, Ellis, Alter, and Pool for bringing forward item #71 related to identifying opportunities for drinking fountains in the central part of the city.

I look forward to our conversations next week and am proposing a small change that I think would align with the purposes of the resolution.

Below is proposed amendment language to extend the boundaries one block south of Lady Bird Lake. Slightly expanding boundaries to encompass areas with high public gathering events as well as along bike and pedestrian paths would help ensure residents and visitors alike have access to drinking water sources, further meeting the goals of the resolution.

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF AUSTIN:

The City Manager is directed to consult with the relevant City departments, the Downtown Austin Alliance, and other interested stakeholders to identify at least 10 locations within the boundaries of I-35, 15th Street, (new language in all caps) BARTON SPRINGS ROAD/RIVERSIDE DRIVE along Lady Bird Lake (INCLUDING PARKLAND ALONG THE LAKE), and Lamar Boulevard, INCLUDING THE ZILKER PARK AREA TO THE WEST, that would be suitable to install free, ADA complaint, 24-hour drinking fountains. At least two of these proposed locations should be in the area bounded by Red River Street, E. 8th Street, Trinity Street, and E. 7th Street and one in the area near E. 4th Street, in the general vicinity of the Downtown Metro Rail Station and the Convention Center.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5