Austin Energy Consumer Advocate

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Austin Energy Consumer Advocate

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues:

Here is a link to the resolution related to the AE consumer advocate for the rate case:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/edims/document.cfm?id=222265

thanks,

Kathie Tovo
Council District 9
Kathie Tovo

Re: Austin Energy Consumer Advocate

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues - just to clarify, the resolution I posted last night is from the November 20, 2014 Council agenda.

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Council District 9
Steve Adler

Re: Austin Energy Consumer Advocate

Post by Steve Adler »

Council Members,

As I will not be able to join you for today's discussion regarding the Consumer Advocate, I have posted below the text of an e-mail I sent to Council Members Gallo and Pool that reflects my thoughts on this matter. Have a great meeting today.

My thoughts… I understand that on Thursday (tomorrow), staff will be asked to report as to:

1. Whether, if there was more time or another RFP (perhaps more widely distributed? Perhaps more targeted to find an advocate for residential rate payers (including low income) since larger rate payers already have or can afford their own advocates), would there be more applicants?
2. If not prudent to issue a new RFP, what does legal say about whether Council waive the procurement violation?
3. If a new RFP needs to be or should be issued, can we run the process and come back to council on 12/17? Is that enough time?
4. If can’t do by 12/17, when in January can it come back?
5. Can or should the cost of service process start now, even without the consumer advocate in place? To what prejudice, if any?

Note: It seems critical that the cost of service study move forward in a manner and on a schedule such as would ensure that we have conclusions and numbers, etc., as we begin to enter the late spring/summer and budget process. This needs to be kept in mind while deciding how and what to do about the consumer advocate…

s
Mayor