Coordination with Homeless Outreach Street Team

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Christopher Hutchins

Coordination with Homeless Outreach Street Team

Post by Christopher Hutchins »

As follow up to the discussion at the Work Session on the HOST Pilot Project, regarding the role of the existing partner agencies/organizations, I want to emphasize that viable options for partnering, in safe locations, are available. I have suggested that partner organizations have a presence on Saturdays and Sundays under the IH35 bridge intersections when churches provide support and meals to individuals who are homeless. There is a significant number of individuals congregating under IH 35 between 6th and 8th streets every weekend for breakfasts/lunches. The partner groups (examples: Front Steps, Austin Travis County Integral Care, Caritas, etc) could use this opportunity to outreach to individuals, beyond the 8 to 5 schedule that may not be conducive for many individuals who are homeless. I recently talked with two men under the 15th Street Bridge, as it was being cleaned by Texas Department of Transportation staff, who were not familiar with the partner agencies. The police and I tried to refer them to these resources. It would be helpful to have a ‘card’ for the police to distribute for those with whom they interact. The ‘card’ would have information about primary locations for entry into the system through the coordinated assessment process.
Policy Aide
Office of Ora Houston, District 1
Christopher Hutchins

Re: Coordination with Homeless Outreach Street Team

Post by Christopher Hutchins »

*courtesy of Council Member Houston.
Policy Aide
Office of Ora Houston, District 1