Fair Chance Hiring briefing at Feb. 23 Work Session

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Greg Casar

Fair Chance Hiring briefing at Feb. 23 Work Session

Post by Greg Casar »

Dear colleagues,

I’m writing to bring your attention to an item on our upcoming Tuesday, February 23rd work session agenda. At 9:00am when we convene, we will begin a discussion on the Fair Chance Hiring practices for Austin, as initiated by Council resolution in May 2015. We won’t be posted for Council action on the item for a few weeks, but I am eager to provide you with an overview of the policy so that the Council can be well-informed before taking a vote in March.

In addition, Human Resources Department staff will be available to talk about the robust stakeholder process they conducted which helped craft the proposed policy.

Last fall, the Council’s Economic Opportunity Committee recommended a robust Fair Chance ordinance. City staff has drafted ordinance language based on our recommendation, which will be included as back-up in the Feb. 23rd Work Session Agenda. This is an initial draft for Council to consider, and I may be offering some amendments to it when we take up the ordinance for action.

Fair Chance Hiring policies have been implemented in a number of cities, counties, and states around the country, and has been in effect for the employees of the City and County for several years. I hope we swiftly pass a reasonable policy that I believe will create economic opportunity, address race and class inequities, improve public safety, and move our city forward.

See you all on Tuesday.

Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4