Item #21 Council Committee System

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Genoveva Rodriguez

Item #21 Council Committee System

Post by Genoveva Rodriguez »

On behalf of Council Member Houston -

Item #21

I so much appreciate the time and effort the members of the Transition Committee devoted to getting us organized over the past year. Many thanks!

As a result of my review of proposed amendments to Ordinance # 20150129-026, it strikes me that perhaps the originating Ordinance should be reviewed to separate language specific to the City Code from language that could be included in Council Committee Operating Procedures. Operating Procedures would allow for an ease in changes or modifications.

An example: Part 1. Article 5. 2-5-102 Membership of Council Committees. (C) The term of a committee member is one year beginning on the date the committee appointments are ratified by the council. (page 1 of 15)

I don’t think that this was the intent and certainly not our practice.

Suggested language: The term of a committee member is the term of the office of the member, beginning on the date the committee appointments are ratified by the council, unless the member requests a different committee.

The review of the Ordinance would also allow the great DRAFT Transition Workgroup Report to align with items in the Ordinance and the Operating Procedures if there is agreement to move forward on that.

Sec. 2-5-107 Citizen Participation at Committee Meetings. (D) A person may donate the person’s speaking time on an agenda item or at a public hearing to another speaker if the person donating the time is present when the speaker begins to address the committee. (p 6 of 15)

Suggested language: A person may donate the person’s speaking time on an agenda item or during a public comment period to another speaker if the person donating the time is present when the speaker begins to address the committee.

Differentiating between public comments at Committee meetings and public hearings during Council Meeting will align the language that is used in the DRAFT Transition Workgroup Report
Policy Aide, Media & Communications
Office of Ora Houston, District 1