Draft Amendment for Item #33 Convention Center Master Plan

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Draft Amendment for Item #33 Convention Center Master Plan

Post by Steve Adler »

Councilmembers,

As discussed during today's worksession, I will propose the following amendment to Item #33 related to the Convention Center Master Plan. Please let me know if you have any questions.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 151515.doc
Mayor
Steve Adler

Re: Draft Amendment for Item #33 Convention Center Master Pl

Post by Steve Adler »

Also as mentioned this morning, this is a very early draft of the amendment. I encourage you to suggest changes and additions, and look forward to receiving them.
Mayor
Leslie Pool

Re: Draft Amendment for Item #33 Convention Center Master Pl

Post by Leslie Pool »

Mayor Adler, thanks for posting a comprehensive list of issues for us to review. I have two items at this time to add to the mix (one of the bullets on your second page raises these issues, and I reiterate them here for emphasis and to provide greater detail):

1. The hotel. White Lodging has reportedly purchased property along the southern edge of the area tapped for the convention center expansion, fronting on Cesar Chavez Street. Siting a hotel at that location will bring a heavy dose of traffic to another segment of Cesar Chavez already congested due to existing hotel entry/exit, office tower parking garage access, various types of deliveries to offices and shops, and all the other traffic you'd expect in an active downtown. If City modeling data indicate support for another hotel adjacent to the convention center, then perhaps the northern edge of the convention center area along Fourth Street would be a better location.

2. Traffic on Cesar Chavez. As was noted in the work session today, traffic on that boulevard - the straight-shot connection from MoPAC to I-35 and points further east - is already gridlocked at various intersections for differing lengths of time throughout the day. A careful review of the convention center expansion should include a comprehensive analysis of traffic volumetric (not peak) impacts predicted or modeled along the entire length of Cesar Chavez from MoPAC west to east of I-35. Additionally, I request that this analysis include volumetric (not peak) traffic impacts that result from options TxDOT and CTRMA are proposing to expand MoPAC capacity to 2025 and beyond.

Thanks.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7