CM Kitchen Item for Tuesday Budget Discussion

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

CM Kitchen Item for Tuesday Budget Discussion

Post by Ann Kitchen »

All

I understand from Finance that the cost of living analysis required to implement Concept Menu Item 3.17 will not be available in time for our budget process. (3.17 related to full-cost recovery policies for the enforcement costs for the Repeat Offender Program)

In order to capture the intent of this proposal during this budget cycle, I will bring forward the following Alternatives tomorrow:

3.17. Adopt full-cost recovery policies to recover the enforcement costs imposed by Repeat Offender Properties (ref Ordinance #20130926-012) and other problem properties, including: a graduated inspection fee for Repeat Offender Properties based on the number of units and a fee for re-inspection of units.

ALTERNATIVE
Delay the hiring of new FTEs proposed by the Code Enforcement Department for the Repeat Offender Program until development and implementation of full-cost recovery policies; delete the costs for those new FTEs from the General Fund proposed budget and apply the savings to reductions in the proposed increase in the Clean Community Fee.

BACKGROUND
The proposed budget increases Code Enforcement by 9 FTEs, some of which are for the Repeat Offender Program. The increase in the Clean Community Fee amounts to $3/year for residential customers and $6/year for commercial customers.

The information is not yet available for the actual costs of the Repeat Offender Program, and therefore how much a full cost recovery policy would impact the Clean Community Fee is currently unknown. But as much as possible and subject to policy consideration - the cost of enforcement should be covered by those impacted, rather than just increasing the Clean Community Fee.

I will continue to research our options and welcome any suggestions anyone might have for alternatives.

Ann Kitchen
Council Member, District 5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5