Public Safety Cmte - request to table item

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Leslie Pool

Public Safety Cmte - request to table item

Post by Leslie Pool »

all, I note that EMS & Fire item on our Public Safety Committee agenda today appears to have caught the affected departments unaware. I would suggest that we table the item, and will make that motion if no one else does. Here is an excerpt from Chief Rodriguez's weekly newsletter:

“Both the EMS and Fire Departments were surprised to see this agenda item. Neither department was consulted on the matter. Neither department has been studying a merger and neither has any staff briefing to deliver on the topic. The system that we have now is the system that we have been working to develop. We have invested in this system for thirty years. Our performance is excellent and we remain an industry leader and innovator. Many of the things that we do become models for others across the nation to follow. Since its inception, our EMS department has faced challenges. And we have faced those challenges head-on. Right now we are facing a challenge to recruit, hire, and retain great people. We are also facing the challenge of work-related fatigue caused by shift work. We will face these challenges. We will find solutions. We will be better and stronger when we do.”

Regards,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Don Zimmerman

Re: Public Safety Cmte - request to table item

Post by Don Zimmerman »

CM Pool,

The meeting is NOT a "hearing" on the matter, because there is no proposal, no resolution, no draft ordinance, nothing of that sort. This is the earliest public comment phase on the concept of a merge; this is targeted towards CM Houston's rational request that public comment be solicited PRIOR to any specific resolution or ordinance regarding any merge proposal, or even, whether the merger should be considered or not.

In my view, "tabling" this agenda item is to reject public comment on the basic question - should a merger be considered, or not? Isn't city staff implying that staff has to pass judgement on whether a merger should or shouldn't be considered prior to hearing public comments on the same question? I will certainly entertain your motion to table, but in my view tabling the item because "both EMS and Fire Departments were surprised to see this agenda item" is part of the old culture of having city staff involved prior to having public comment.

In my view, public comment should come FIRST, and if the public is interested in investigating a merger, staff should be engaged to follow up.
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)
Don Zimmerman

Re: Public Safety Cmte - request to table item

Post by Don Zimmerman »

Invited public testimony on the public commentary regarding Fire/EMS merge:

Rey Arellano -- Asst. City Manager, Public Safety
Bob Nicks -- AFD Assoc.
Tony Marquart -- EMS Assoc.
Mike Levy -- Public Safety Commission
John Wolfe -- former Austin paramedic

Of course the Committee also accepts public testimony from anyone who signs in to speak.
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)