AFD Item

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

AFD Item

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues

I have posted an item for our agenda next week with cosponsors (Mayor Adler, CM Harper-Madison, CM Kelly, CM Vela) which clearly states the city's intent to respect the will of the voters with regard to binding arbitration.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 101326.pdf

In 2021, the citizens of Austin voted by an 81%-19% margin to adopt an amendment to the City Charter which allows either the City or Austin Firefighters Association to request binding interest arbitration by an impartial panel to settle an impasse regarding the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement

The City has a long history of bargaining in good faith with its employees and their labor organizations. It is important, however, as the voters recognized, to provide a mechanism for resolving disputes. Binding interest arbitration has been adopted and used successfully in cities across the State of Texas as a fair and cost-effective way to resolve differences between labor and management during negotiations with public safety employees.

We welcome additional co-sponsors and invite colleagues to sign on as a co-sponsor through this Message Board post.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Mackenzie Kelly

Re: AFD Item

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Colleagues,

I'm thankful to co-sponsor this important resolution. In 2021, voters approved binding arbitration in support of the Austin Firefighters Association in the event they reach an impasse regarding negotiations of their collective bargaining agreement.

I support this resolution as this will set a good foundation for the City of Austin and the Austin Firefighters Association as they approach the negotiation table.

I look forward to this resolution passing and the will of the voters being realized. Most importantly, I would like to thank the men and women of the Austin Fire Department for the brave and selfless work they do every day to keep the City of Austin safe.

Warm regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6
Paige Ellis

Post by Paige Ellis »

Thank you for bringing this resolution forward, CM Kitchen.

I agree that the city must listen to the will of the voters who approved the ballot initiative. I would like to be added as a cosponsor.

Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8
Sabino Pio Renteria

Post by Sabino Pio Renteria »

Thank you for your leadership on this resolution, Council Member Kitchen. It's important that we respect the clear will of the voters on this issue and direct the use of binding arbitration to settle disputes in these negotiations.

I would also like to be added as a co-sponsor.

Pio
Council Member District 3
Vanessa Fuentes

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

I'd also like to be listed as a co-sponsor.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2