Item 16: Guaranteed Income Pilot Program Postponement

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Mackenzie Kelly

Item 16: Guaranteed Income Pilot Program Postponement

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Colleagues,

There are parts of this item that have raised questions that remain to be answered. I would like to have adequate time to speak with city staff about the metrics, outcomes, and decision-making process that will be delivered to us with this item.

For example, in an answer to one of the questions submitted to the council Q&A it stated that the KPI's and benchmarks for this program were not yet set. This certainly gives me pause, and I'd like to better understand the program's anticipated outcomes before voting.

Additionally, I have spoken to many people in the community who seem to have a misunderstanding of how this pilot program will work. I believe that for any program in the City of Austin, the community deserves to get the best information possible and this postponement will allow myself and other council members the opportunity to engage in healthy conversations about the intended purpose and outcome of this item.

We owe it to the community to consider all aspects of the process before voting.

This is why I will be requesting a postponement for item #16 tomorrow.

I look forward to the discussion and coming to solutions that best serve everyone in Austin.

Warm Regards,

mk
Council Member, District 6
Jose Chito Vela

Re: Item 16: Guaranteed Income Pilot Program Postponement

Post by Jose Chito Vela »

In the interest of avoiding an unnecessarily long discussion on this item, I agree that we should postpone. In additon to CM Kelly's questions on this forum, CMs Pool, Tovo, Alter and myself had questions that were answered by staff on the Q and A Report. Addtionally, I'd prefer to have everyone on the dais when we discuss this item.

Chito
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

Colleagues, thanks for these posts. I join you in requesting a postponement - and if I were going to be on the dais tomorrow I'd vote to support the delay. I have serious reservations over staff's responses to my Q&A submission. As a result, I have an array of specific follow-on questions aimed at developing the level of detail and specifics that our Q&A process is intended to provide but that, in this case, fell short of expectations.

For these reasons, I support CM Kelly's intent to postpone item 16, and appreciate CM Vela's quick willingness to second the motion when she offers it.

Best,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues

Thank you all for your leadership on this item, and thank you CM Kelly for suggesting postponement. Given the questions related to the item, I think it is appropriate to delay to provide ample time for discussion and answers to the questions that have been raised.

I support postponement.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Vanessa Fuentes

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

I appreciate the conversation around this pilot program, however, I do not support a postponement. I look forward to the conversation tomorrow on whether or not we should postpone.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2