Item #111 - Abortion Access Resolution

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Paige Ellis

Item #111 - Abortion Access Resolution

Post by Paige Ellis »

Colleagues,

As you are well aware, abortion access is under severe attack in our state yet again. I feel strongly that elected officials at ALL levels of government must do everything we can to protect reproductive rights and the rights of individuals to make decisions over their own bodies. We cannot let this aggressive invasion into such a private and personal matter go unchecked.

That is why I’ve sponsored Item #111 on this week’s agenda reaffirming Austin’s longstanding commitment to abortion access and encouraging our city’s Law Department to investigate and pursue appropriate legal support of current efforts to challenge the recently enacted law.

President Joe Biden, the U.S. Department of Justice, and - just last week - the U.S. House of Representatives have all spoken unequivocally in support of access to abortion care for all who seek it. Public polling shows consistent and overwhelming support for reproductive choice.

This coming Saturday, Oct. 2 is the return of the national Women’s March, and I’ll be speaking at the event here in Austin. I hope to be able to share that our Austin City Council has renewed our philosophical, financial, and legal support for the rights of Texans to make their own decisions for their families.

I’d like to thank my cosponsors - Mayor Adler, MPT Harper-Madison, and Council Member Casar - and invite all of my fellow colleagues to join in cosponsorship of this critical item.

Paige Ellis
Paige Ellis
City Council District 8
Alison Alter

Re: Item #111 - Abortion Access Resolution

Post by Alison Alter »

Thank you CM Ellis for bringing forward this resolution that reaffirms the need for and our commitment to abortion access. I would like to be included as a co-sponsor as well.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Thank you, Council Member Ellis. Please add me as a co-sponsor.

best,
Kathie Tovo
Council District 9
Vanessa Fuentes

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

I greatly appreciate your leadership on reproductive justice, Council Member Ellis. I would also like to be included as a co-sponsor.

Yours in Community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2