Alternative ARP Framework

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Alison Alter

Alternative ARP Framework

Post by Alison Alter »

Dear Colleagues,

I have spoken at length with the Mayor and would like to propose the attached alternative ARP framework allocation jointly with Council Member Tovo. See http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 94833.xlsx

Later today we each will post direction to accompany this framework that offers the guidance that has been discussed on the message board and on the dais. We understand from the message board that Council Member Kitchen and Mayor Adler also may be adding some direction as well.

Our framework takes into account the updated rental emergency assistance allocation and HOME allocations and increases funding for workforce, resilience, and childcare while providing for larger contingency / reserves. Together with the direction we believe we can chart a path forward that allows us to achieve the goal of housing 3000 more neighbors experiencing homelessness and make other much needed investments in our community alongside the County, other governmental units, philanthropy, and our community partners.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Alison Alter

Re: Alternative ARP Framework

Post by Alison Alter »

Colleagues,

Some folks are having a hard time opening the link above, so I am sharing it again here in PDF form to help with accessibility: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 120637.pdf

Regards,
Alison Alter
Greg Casar

Post by Greg Casar »

Thank you for the alternative proposal, CM Alter. I appreciate the additions to the priority areas of childcare and workforce development, and I strongly support maintaining the $100M in homelessness funding.

I also am happy that our federal allocation from the federal government was higher than expected for rental assistance. The total $42M in rental assistance will help keep so many people in our community from losing their homes, or worse.

Our current rate of rental assistance expenditures is about $8M/month, and I expect that need will continue through the end of the year which is when we expect the Mayor’s emergency order may expire. If this level of need persists (or increases) through the end of the year, that means we may run out of funds. At this rate of $8M/month, we would need $48M instead of $42M dedicated to rental assistance.

We all hope that the economic recovery significantly reduces the need for dollars. However, we must grapple with the fact that many working people are carrying a debt of several thousand dollars’ worth of back rent that they cannot pay, even since returning to work. We must avoid the eviction crises that have hit other cities, which have increased homelessness, severely damaged economic recovery efforts, and devastated families.

I propose the following:
(1) Adopt the spreadsheet as proposed by Mayor Adler and as amended by CM Alter and with the direction in backup from CM Fuentes, the direction from CM Kitchen on the message board, and I look forward to further direction from others.
(2) Adopt the following direction to the City Manager: “The City Manager is directed to bring forward a budget amendment if the rental assistance funds will be fully expended before December 31st, 2021, and if such funds are needed to prevent widespread eviction. The City Manager should flag $6M in the City funds that could be brought forward in this way if necessary. Rental assistance dollars in the adopted framework must be available in 2021.”

-Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Natasha Harper-Madison

Post by Natasha Harper-Madison »

CM Alter,

Thanks to you and CM Tovo for bringing this additional option forward. I would like to express my support and look forward to the additional direction.

Best,
NHM
Natasha Harper-Madison
Council Member District 1
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues

Thank you for the alternative framework CM Alter, and the proposed directions that colleagues have been posting.

I support CM Casar's proposed Direction related to rental assistance. It is critical that we ensure that our residents have protections against losing their homes due to the inability to pay rent. I think the approach that CM Casar is proposing provides for that protection in the event that the level of need persists longer than we anticipate.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Kathie Tovo

re: direction for alternative framework

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues,

Below please find amendments that follow along the points I raised in my message board post and our conversation on Monday. I am bringing forward these amendments with Council Member Alter, Council Member Kitchen, and Mayor Adler.

I regard this direction as a critical component in my support for the framework that CM Alter brought forward and posted above.

I look forward to the conversation.

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Council Member District 9

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 43410.docx
Council District 9
Ashley Richardson (D9)

Post by Ashley Richardson (D9) »

On behalf of CM Tovo -

If you are having trouble opening and downloading the first link I posted, please use this link: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 143645.pdf. The language is the same in both links. This will be distributed by the Agenda Office shortly.

Best,

Kathie
Senior Policy Advisor
Office of Kathie Tovo, Council Member District 9
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

A follow up to my original post…

Together with the direction shared by CM Tovo, I would like to offer the following direction in support of the framework. I anticipate this would sit alongside direction offered by colleagues that the Council adopts. We may need to do some formatting to pull all the pieces together, but the substance of what I want to offer is attached here: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 142342.pdf.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Vanessa Fuentes

Post by Vanessa Fuentes »

Mayor, Mayor Pro Tem, and Colleagues,

Thank you for your proposals addressing the needs of our communities. I wholeheartedly agree that through prioritizing childcare, food access, workforce development, and homelessness funding, we can both combat the continued effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and create a more equitable city for all.

For this reason, I have provided direction in the backup related Del Valle ISD Pre-K access and food access issues: https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/docum ... ?id=362028

Furthermore, I too support Council Member Casar’s direction related to rental assistance. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to increased unemployment and caused many renters to be behind on rent. Eviction protections will begin to phase out which will exacerbate already fraught financial circumstances for Austinites. Doing all we can to provide rental assistance and protection for our communities is of great importance.

Overall, I support adopting the spreadsheet as proposed by Mayor Adler and as amended by Council Member Alter, and with the direction from myself, Council Member Kitchen, and Council Member Casar.

I will continue to review direction proposed by my colleagues and look forward to our conversation on the dais.

Yours in community,
Vanessa
Council Member, District 2
Ashley Richardson (D9)

Please see Council Member Tovo's second motion sheet for non-homelessness related items within Council Member Alter's alternative ARP framework. http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 175722.pdf. This will soon be distributed by the Agenda Office.
Senior Policy Advisor
Ashley Richardson (D9)

Please see *Version 2* of Council Member Tovo's second motion sheet for non-homelessness related items within Council Member Alter's alternative ARP framework. http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 181348.pdf. Version 2 adds live entertainment workers to the second Be It Resolved that relates to the creative sector and adds a new third Be It Resolved that relates to food security and food access. This will soon be distributed by the Agenda Office. Thank you!
Senior Policy Advisor