FY20 Homelessness Spending

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

FY20 Homelessness Spending

Post by Steve Adler »

I’ve asked the Manager to let us know if there are any funds, originally designated for homelessness but as yet not spent or committed, that might be available to address the immediacy of the unhoused challenge. Specifically, I’ve asked about the documents, linked here, that the staff has previously given to media. I understand the Manager has indicated that more insight will be forthcoming shortly.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 182838.pdf
Mayor
Steve Adler

Re: FY20 Homelessness Spending

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues:

This document the Manager just gave Council gives even more information about expenditures for homelessness. ( http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 210840.pdf ) The City Manager also included this note in his message:

“Overall, the City spent $44.7M which was not budgeted specifically for homelessness but benefited many individuals experiencing homelessness in addition to the $42.3M spent under the homelessness budget for a total of $87M, which is more than the $73.4M appropriated under the homelessness budget. We’ve updated the previous document to provide additional context. As federal stimulus funding for immediate and basic needs ends, the City will need to pivot and significantly increase funding allocated to temporary non-congregate shelter beds (hotel conversions), rapid rehousing, rental assistance and other programs and services to reduce the inflow of people experiencing homelessness and respond to the continued crisis. Additionally, funding associated with longer-term multi-year and strategic investments in the homeless response system should not be confused with current year/basic needs funding. Investments in housing, case management and coordination, staffing and capacity building are critical to the success of the overall response system and are allocated and spent across multiple budget years.”

Clearly, the City has been putting unprecedented resources towards ending homelessness. This remains our top priority and it’s reflected in this work. But the challenge is huge and, for me, especially with respect to unsheltered homelessness. I really appreciate the work the Manager is doing to see what, if any, further sources of funds might still be available. If resources are available, the next question is where and how we best to use them, should the Council want to move in that direction.

The open question for me is whether there will be some of the unspent $31.1M that might still be available and could be re-designated to focus on permanent supportive housing or otherwise help those experiencing unsheltered homelessness.

S
Mayor