COVID-19 Budget Resolution for May 7

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

COVID-19 Budget Resolution for May 7

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues

I wanted to let everyone know that I am working on a resolution for Council consideration on May 7th related to budgeting for the use of COVID-19 federal and state funding.

The budget needs to be developed and voted on by the full Council after everyone has the opportunity to contribute their ideas and thoughts in consultation with city staff. We all have been working with staff and bringing resolutions to address various needs over the past few weeks. It is timely for the Council to consider the available funding as a whole and in light of identified needs (while allowing for some flexibility as we proceed through these challenges)

To that end, the purpose of the resolution is to ask the City Manager to develop a proposed budget and to lay out a process and timeline for the Council to consider and vote on a proposed budget

As soon as my co-sponsors and I finalize a draft, we will post it here for all to review and contribute to. I expect to have that posted by Friday of this week.

I have been impressed by all the work that everyone is doing, and thankful for our wonderful staff.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Steve Adler

Re: COVID-19 Budget Resolution for May 7

Post by Steve Adler »

Thank you for your post, CM Kitchen. I share your concern and had asked the City Manager and Budget Officer for a presentation to the full Council. They should be prepared to discuss this with us at work session next Tuesday, May 5th.
Mayor
Jimmy Flannigan

Post by Jimmy Flannigan »

A number of our offices have been advocating for a comprehensive approach. It guided our initial draft before passing item 91 more than a month ago. So glad to see agreement on the principle that we should consult with and include staff in this way.

Let's agree, however, to avoid processes that further delay necessary assistance to our community in crisis.  We have already done some good work with EDD's Emergency Bridge Loans, RISE, and other programs funded by repurposing other funds.  I strongly believe we need to continue that work with the federal dollars, including the Item 23 we have placed on the May 7 agenda.
Jimmy Flannigan
Council Member, District 6
Ann Kitchen

Post by Ann Kitchen »

Colleagues

Thank you to everyone's comments. My co-sponsors (MPT Garza, Casar, Pool, Alter) and I have posted Item #60 on the Addendum for the May 7th agenda.
The resolution is intended as establishing an approach to discuss holistically our community's needs and the use of CARES Act and other funding - while continuing to address needs as the city and Council has been doing, as CM Flannigan suggested.

In summary, the resolution asks the City Manager to put on the May 21st Council agenda a Spending Framework for CARES Act and other funding, and proposes categories for this Framework. The resolution asks also that in developing the Framework, the City Manager:
- consider identified needs, the purposes of each funding source, and how to best align funding sources to identified needs in order to most effectively leverage all available funding.
- include a timeline for expenditures that aligns with the requirements for each funding source
- include all funding previously approved by Council (this includes the resolutions Council has passed and will be passing on the 7th)
- include other funding the City Manager has identified as necessary for mitigation and prevention of the spread of COVID-19 and for recovery efforts
- organize the Framework into categories aligned with immediate term and longer-term needs, allowing for flexibility, as conditions change
- provide for regular monthly reporting to Council and for updating the framework, as needed.
- include all available funding in the framework, while allowing a category for contingencies

The resolution also asks the City Manager to continue to address all the impacts of COVID and prioritize saving lives, preventing overwhelming the health care system, and addressing the public health crisis. The resolution clarifies that the actions requested should not be read to limit or delay necessary assistance to the community.

I look forward to our discussion next week.

Best Regards
Ann Kitchen
City Council D5
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5