Austin Energy Generation Plan

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Austin Energy Generation Plan

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues:

As the Chair and Vice Chair of the Austin Energy Utility Oversight Committee, we fully support moving forward with adoption of the Item 2 on Thursday's agenda, the Austin Energy Resource, Generation, and Climate Protection Plan to 2030.

The EUC Generation Resource Working Group worked cooperatively with Austin Energy to arrive at the 2030 Austin Energy Generation Plan, which includes a 2035 no carbon generation commitment, as well as important commitments on energy efficiency, local solar, thermal storage, renewables, and a variety of studies. All members present approved the plan. The 2030 Plan was also approved unanimously by the RMC and EUC members.

One recommendation of the RMC -- Item 5 regarding Plan updates occurring every two years rather than five as proposed -- was not adopted by the EUC. You may recall that the Austin Energy Resource, Generation, and Climate Protection Plan to 2020 referred to annual review, and the Generation Plan update to 2025 referenced Plan updates every two years.

We feel there is merit in having this discussion about when a new update to the plan should occur and what the process shall be for identifying members of the planning group and the process for getting future public input.

In light of the discussion around the appropriate cycle for update and the unique circumstances we find ourselves in at this time, we would propose this topic for discussion at the next AEUOC meeting and subsequently for discussion at the full council at the first opportunity.

Kathie Tovo
Leslie Pool
Council District 9
Steve Adler

Re: Austin Energy Generation Plan

Post by Steve Adler »

CM Tovo,

Thanks for your suggestion to move forward with approving Item 2 on Thursday. I agree with your suggestion that Council move to approve the plan this Thursday, along with the four recommendations that the RMC and EUC agreed on. My understanding is that those four recommendations will be added as an addendum to the plan in late back up.

I also agree with your suggestion that the RMC Item 5 regarding Plan updates occurring every two years rather than five as proposed should be taken up at a later Committee and/or Council meeting for further discussion.

-s
Mayor
Alison Alter

Re: Austin Energy Generation Plan

Post by Alison Alter »

Thank you CM’s Tovo and Pool. I think you offer an excellent path forward for item 2. The working group and AE have produced an innovative approach to achieve our environmental and economic goals simultaneously.

As we enter a period of economic uncertainty, I believe the flexibility built into this plan will serve Austin well.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10