amendments to item 59 (Jan 23, 2020)

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Leslie Pool

amendments to item 59 (Jan 23, 2020)

Post by Leslie Pool »

Colleagues:
I am wholly supportive of our move to de-prioritize misdemeanor marijuana offenses, and I agree with the sponsors that this is the right move in light HB 1325 that came without the necessary funding for testing to support local law enforcement and prosecutors.

I would like to make some clarifying changes to the resolution that I think are relatively simple, but essential. These clarifications will ensure that we send the right signals to our officers and to prosecutors that we do not intend to decriminalize felony-level offenses.

My red-line version is attached, with the following clarifying changes:
• Replaced “low-level” with “misdemeanor” throughout the resolution so that we are using easily defined terminology.
• Removed “trafficking” as a qualifier for felony offenses so that we are not jeopardizing felony prosecutions.
• Highlighted the intent, on page 5, to support felony-level cases in which the marijuana is not for personal use only.
• Replaced “eliminate” with “reduce” so that, again, we are clear that we support felony-level enforcement actions.

Here's a link to the red-line :: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 150035.pdf

I hope these changes will be acceptable to the sponsors, and I look forward to our discussion tomorrow.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7