Questions Regarding Item 83 for the September 14th, 2023, Council Meeting

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Mackenzie Kelly

Questions Regarding Item 83 for the September 14th, 2023, Council Meeting

Post by Mackenzie Kelly »

Colleagues,

I'm getting questions from the community regarding the possible implications upon passage of item 83. Although I know that this item is to get the conversation started with staff returning with recommendations, I would kindly like to ask these questions in a public forum so that the community members who have reached out to me have a chance to get the answers they seek.

1. What are the current licensing requirements to have Tiny Homes or RVs on a single property for short-term rentals under the considerations of this resolution?
2. Could a tiny home be licensed as a short-term rental under the current code?
3. Do we currently have an outline of the number of structures allowed on the property listed in a single-family zoning district?
4. Are there currently any additional regulations to allow for a person to oppose zoning or rezoning to allow for tiny homes or RVs by way of petition or other legally allowed means?
5. Are there currently additional regulations or restrictions to upzone a property under single-family zoning to add more tiny homes and RVs under the considerations of this resolution?
6. What are the current restrictions for installing a tiny home or having an RV on the property?
7. What are the differences between a tiny home, an RV, and an ADU?

Thank you for your time and consideration on these questions and I look forward to the discussion. I have drafted an amendment that I would like to discuss publicly during tomorrow’s work session that I believe may bring needed assurance to the community members I've spoken with.

Warm regards,
-mk
Council Member, District 6
Atha Phillips

Re: Questions Regarding Item 83 for the September 14th, 2023, Council Meeting

Post by Atha Phillips »

On behalf of Council Member Pool

Colleagues,

On this week’s agenda, I am excited to bring Item 83, which initiates code changes that would allow tiny homes within single-family zoning districts.
Adding a tiny home to your property, if allowed, would be the easiest and most affordable way to provide much-needed housing. These homes could be used by a family member, caretaker, college student, or just add passive income to help cover the mortgage.

Council Member Kelly shared an amendment earlier today and it highlighted several good points, many of which were addressed during work session by our City staff. I would like to incorporate the remaining ones and submit a Version 2 of the resolution for Thursday.

I will be adding a requirement for tiny homes to be registered with the City if they are used as Short Term Rentals and require them to adhere to all aspects of the International Residential Code including maintaining required fire distances from other dwelling units. I will also clarify that they should count as dwelling units and adhere to zoning code limits.

I want to thank Council Member Kelly for daylighting her concerns, and I’m happy to include these changes into a Version 2 which we will post to the message board.

Leslie
Senior Policy Advisor
Office of Council Member Leslie Pool, District 7
Atha Phillips

Re: Questions Regarding Item 83 for the September 14th, 2023, Council Meeting

Post by Atha Phillips »

On behalf of Council Member Pool, I am posting a link to the Tiny Home Resolution Version 2: http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 145518.pdf

I have also sent this update to the agenda office to be posted.

Thanks,
Atha Phillips
Senior Policy Advisor
Senior Policy Advisor
Office of Council Member Leslie Pool, District 7