Item 25 SXSW Ordinance

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Colleen Pate

Item 25 SXSW Ordinance

Post by Colleen Pate »

Colleagues –

I would like to highlight Item 25 on this week’s agenda. This IFC is the same ordinance that has been passed by council for several years in row. It waives and modifies certain code requirements for the March 2024 SXSW festival. My co-sponsors and I are asking Council to consider one additional modification. The amendment to Page 3, lines 84-93 is new and would allow for a specific number of non-projected special event signage adhered to building facades at specific allowed maximum sizes during specific dates.

These signs are seen at large events in other cities across the country. I consider this amendment to be a one-year pilot. SXSW will have to return to council every year and ask Council for these special event sign modifications along with the other code modifications they request each year.

The Special Event Sign ordinance already has several guardrails to manage this process.
• Signs are only allowed during set dates for special events;
• Signs are only allowed on closed public streets;
• Signage may not impair the vision or distract a driver of a vehicle; and
• The director may revoke a permit for a special event sign under this section if the sign is deemed to be a threat to public health and safety.

The final guardrail is the wisdom of Council. As with any code modification, if another special event wanted to use large signs, they would be required to come before the Council and similarly ask for an ordinance waiving and modifying the Special Event Sign rules.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 25613.docx

Thank you,
Kirk
On behalf of Mayor Watson
Chief of Staff, Mayor Watson's Office
Colleen Pate

Re: Item 25 SXSW Ordinance

Post by Colleen Pate »

Please see the correct link to the ordinance below.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 130618.pdf

On behalf of Mayor Watson
Chief of Staff, Mayor Watson's Office