Purple Thursday

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Jose Velasquez

Purple Thursday

Post by Jose Velasquez »

Colleagues,

Thursday October 19th is “Go Purple Day” / Purple Thursday

This national day of action, recognition, and reflection around Domestic Violence Awareness Month is a meaningful opportunity for us to acknowledge the impacts of domestic violence, both as a Council and as a community.

This is a very personal issue for me, and as part of this body, I would like to ask for us to unite in raising awareness by making an effort to wear all things purple on our Council meeting day.

We have the opportunity for our City to lead in ensuring that no one feels alone, unseen, and unheard. Domestic violence is a public health and safety issue. It does not discriminate.

- Almost 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence.
- 1 in 15 children live in a home where domestic violence occurs.

We have a responsibility to acknowledge this sad truth while making it clear that domestic violence will not be accepted and will not be ignored in Austin, Texas.

I want to thank Councilmember Fuentes for her leadership on the proclamation recognizing October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month and express my gratitude for the hardworking advocates, agencies, and our police, whose commitment to helping people affected by domestic violence does not go unnoticed by me or this Council.

Please join me in making a visible statement that Austin City Council stands united with those experiencing domestic violence. Let’s GO PURPLE on October 19.

A sus ordenes,
CM José Velásquez
Council Member, District 3