Asian American Resource Center & Rutherford Campus

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Jimmy Flannigan

Asian American Resource Center & Rutherford Campus

Post by Jimmy Flannigan »

On September 19 we will be presented with the Asian American Resource Center Master Plan for adoption. Having engaged with many leaders among the Austin API community over the past several years on the AARC expansion, I recognized that there are elements and feedback provided by the community that was unable to be achieved in the AARC Master Plan for a variety of reasons. It is my hope that we can think BIGGER than just the AARC Master Plan and recognize that we have a huge underutilized city asset directly adjacent to the AARC at the Rutherford Lane campus.

Jointly, these two properties are over 47 acres sitting in an Imagine Austin Job Center and on an ASMP priority transit corridor. I truly believe we can break down some silos and do more with this property than already exists by utilizing a P3 (or other) model to add to our own City office space, while also generating revenue opportunities for the City. Four of us are adding an IFC to the Council addendum on September 19 to explore this in conjunction with the Master Plan already posted. It will also be on the Asian American QOL Commission meeting on Tuesday.

Thank you to Council Members Harper-Madison, Kitchen and Renteria for joining me in seeing this potential.

http://assets.austintexas.gov/austincou ... 162730.pdf
Jimmy Flannigan
Council Member, District 6
Alison Alter

Re: Asian American Resource Center & Rutherford Campus

Post by Alison Alter »

Thank you, CM Flannigan, for advancing this item. I agree that the AARC master plan adoption provides an excellent opportunity to initiate a deeper discussion about how we can leverage the Rutherford Campus and/or a P3 model to achieve multiple city goals at these sites. I support this item and would be happy to be included as your 4th co-sponsor.

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10