Soccer, McKalla, and a possible, special called meeting

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Soccer, McKalla, and a possible, special called meeting

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

Mayor Pro Tem Tovo and I have discussed scheduling for next week a staff briefing and an opportunity for public comment on the anticipated soccer related posting for the August 9 agenda.

What is your availability for a meeting next week? It would appear that we’re all available the morning of August 1 because that was being held for the first budget briefing (now moved to Monday afternoon).

In addition to the morning of August 1, are you available:

 The afternoon of August 1?
 The morning of August 2?
 The afternoon of August 2?
 The evening of August 1 or August 2?

Would you please let me and Kathie know by responding to this message board post, or by informing the Clerk’s office?

s
Mayor
Steve Adler

Re: Soccer, McKalla, and a possible, special called meeting

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

Of the seven Council Members the clerk has heard from, all say that August 1st works best. Therefore, the Mayor Pro Tem and I suggest we proceed with the August 1st meeting already set. We will be amending the agenda for that meeting to notice that we’ll be getting a briefing and are able to take public testimony on McKalla and Soccer, rather than to discuss and work on the Budget (which will happen the afternoon of August 6 instead, as previously noticed).

Importantly, it appears that our legal council will not be available to brief Council until 3 pm on August 1. While the posted meeting start time will remain the same as it was for the budget work session (9 am), it appears I’ll gavel in the meeting at 9 am and then recess until that afternoon. But we’ll make that call on Monday and I’ll post another message board post.

To avoid any confusion, the posting next week on McKalla is to provide for early information and another opportunity for the public to speak. This topic will also be posted on the Aug 7 Work Session and the August 9 Council Meeting. The August 1 meeting is intended to be in addition to, not instead of, the other meetings. The Mayor Pro Tem and I expect that public testimony be welcomed at the August 9 Council Meeting per the usual practice.

S
Mayor
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

Dear Mayor,

When you post additional details on Monday, I think it would be useful if you could indicate a proposed end time for our McKalla session on Wednesday. This will be helpful for us, our staff, city staff and the general public. The budget work session was originally set for 9AM - 5 PM and people may have other commitments.

In addition, I would like an opportunity on August 1st to ask questions in executive session as we are discussing a proposed real estate transaction with some complicated legal elements.

Thank you,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10
Leslie Pool

Post by Leslie Pool »

All, I would have preferred for the council and the public to hear all the proposals at the same time, but unfortunately the August 1 meeting was scheduled for Precourt only. So, to ensure the public is able to weigh-in on ALL the options, I propose a special called meeting on Tuesday, August 7, at 3:00 p.m. for presentations of all the McKalla alternative option proposals and a public hearing, to allow Austinites an opportunity to voice their opinions. This simply mirrors exactly what we are doing on August 1 – and it helps create a more open and transparent process for Austin residents.

Thanks.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Steve Adler

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

The Mayor Pro Tem and I propose the following schedule for the Special Called Meeting on August 1:

• 9:00 am Call meeting to order, decide end time, and take public comment.
(Some of us will not be able to stay the full day; I am prepared to stay however late the Council wishes to keep the meeting open.)

• 11:15 am Executive Session

• Break until 3 pm

• 3:00 pm Staff presentation
…followed by executive session (if necessary)
…followed by Council discussion and further public comment

• End Time To be determined (see above)

Note: Member Pool has posted a request for a special called meeting for 3 pm on August 7 and we will have the opportunity to consider this when we’re together.

s
Mayor