McKalla Lane/MLS Soccer

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

McKalla Lane/MLS Soccer

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Dear Colleagues,

In December of 2017, staff distributed a memo noting several city-owned sites that could be considered as potential locations for a major league soccer stadium. Among the possibilities was 10414 McKalla Lane, a property that has required environmental remediation and is currently used as a storage site by Austin Water, Austin Resource Recovery, and Public Works. (Note that real estate has also raised the possibility of examining this site for possible affordable housing development.)

I am sponsoring a resolution (with co-sponsors Mayor Adler, CM Pool, CM Renteria, and CM Kitchen) directing the City Manager to conduct a deeper analysis of this site for a major league soccer stadium and to begin a stakeholder process. I believe this research and engagement will yield a deeper understanding of any challenges, revenue-sharing opportunities, and community benefits that could be associated with a major league soccer team coming to Austin.

The resolution will post tomorrow for the 3/22 Council meeting agenda to ensure robust community feedback, but since Council Member Pool will not be here on 3/22 and the site falls within District 7, I will move to postpone it to a future Council meeting. As we discussed today, Mayor Adler, CM Garza, CM Troxclair, and I will miss the meeting on 4/12 – so I’m not sure right now whether we would postpone to 4/12, 4/26, or some other date.

I do hope we’ll be able to consider the resolution as soon as possible.

In related news, Precourt Ventures announced today that it has a strong interest in looking more closely at this site:

https://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer ... eYF29hzbL/

I remain enthusiastic about continuing this conversation, particularly about the community benefits that could be generated by such a partnership. As always, please feel free to use this forum to put forth any questions or concerns.

Best,

Kathie
Council District 9
Leslie Pool

Re: McKalla Lane/MLS Soccer

Post by Leslie Pool »

MPT Tovo, thanks for posting. Let's include the list of stakeholders as an exhibit, emphasizing that the list is not intended to be all-inclusive. If we've overlooked a group or interested party, then this list will help us identify them. The list is copied from PARD's memo sent December 14, 2017.
I hope that as this initiative moves forward our entire city will engage in this conversation with us.
o Gracywoods Neighborhood Association
o North Austin Civic Association Plan Contact Team
o North Park Estates Neighborhood Association
o Northgate Neighborhood Association
o Quail Hollow Neighborhood Association
o River Oaks Lakes Estates Neighborhood
o River Oaks Neighborhood Association
o Thurmond Heights Neighborhood Association
o Pflugerville Independent School District
o North Growth Corridor Alliance
o North Austin Civic Association
o Austin Coed Soccer
o Austin Men’s Soccer Association
o Austin Sports and Social Club: Adult Coed Sports
o Austin Women’s Soccer League
o Lonestar Soccer Club
o North Austin Soccer

Best,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Leslie Pool

Comments and Amendments to the McKalla Place resolution, Ite

Post by Leslie Pool »

Colleagues:

As you are all aware, I joined MPT Tovo’s resolution to pursue a feasibility study and community engagement process for a soccer stadium focused on the city-owned McKalla Place site in District 7 – I did this to begin a full public conversation about the potential opportunities and challenges presented by locating a private stadium on this tract.

I would like to be present for the initial conversations on the dais on this issue, and as the site is in District 7, I feel my participation is critical. However, as I am out of town for the March 22 meeting, and in recognition that an earlier start date for staff to provide robust analysis and community engagement is also crucial, I am providing my comments here and proposing amendments for the resolution in the event that the item goes forward this coming Thursday.

Here are my suggested amendments:

1. Add the following Whereas clause:
“Whereas, there is strong community sentiment that dedicated public parkland, including Roy G. Guerrero Colorado River Park and Butler Shores, is not considered to be an acceptable location for a privately owned soccer stadium; and”
2. Under the “Be It Resolved” paragraph, the bulleted list of items to be analyzed should include the following amendments and additions:
a. “Financial opportunities and challenges” should be amended to “Financial opportunities and challenges, including, but not limited to the following:
§ Improvements to the surrounding transportation network;
§ Improvements to the surrounding utility infrastructure; and
§ Necessary public safety services to the facility.”
b. Amend “Traffic considerations” to “An examination of traffic considerations and transit options, with input from Capitol Metro on the feasibility of a stadium train station.”

I have several concerns with the timeline that has been presented to us by Precourt Sports Ventures – having our staff return as quickly as June with this full feasibility analysis along with a truly inclusive and complete community engagement process may lead to not having the full picture on either score. We should be prepared to give this process more time if needed.

I am pleased that we are moving away from considering any dedicated parkland for a private stadium; but McKalla Place is also city-owned and of extremely high value for any private developer. As I’ve said from the beginning, we need a realistic evaluation of the economic benefits and challenges that such a sports stadium presents, and to make certain that there are significant and meaningful community benefits.

As we get further down the road on this issue, if may seem harder to back away even if the public benefits do not outweigh the public costs. As good stewards of the public trust and assets, we must be willing to say no to a bad deal even while the pressure builds to say yes.

I am pleased, however, to begin this public conversation, and I believe this resolution represents the start of a thorough examination of the potential opportunities and challenges.

Best,

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues:

As I just indicated in the work session, I regard Council Member's amendments as friendly and intend to incorporate them into a revised resolution.

Given Council Member Pool's willingness to have us consider this on 3/22 if the amendments are incorporated, I will not move to postpone it but will instead ask Council to take it up this Thursday, March 22.

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Council District 9
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Apologies. My message should read, "I regard Council Member Pool's amendments as friendly . . . "
Council District 9
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

As promised today in work session, I am posting my proposed amendment to the first bullet of the "Be It Resolved..." for item #99.

- An economic analysis of direct and indirect benefits, "opportunity costs, potential liabilities and substitution effects"; [quotation marks indicate the amendment]

Council Member Pool's amendments above seem to address my additional interest in understanding the infrastructure and public service demands of an MLS stadium on this site.
Council Member, District 10
Kathie Tovo

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues,
I have incorporated the amendments above from CM Pool and CM Alter and have added some additional language to address other ideas Council Members raised during Tuesday's work session. I will distribute revised versions of the resolution on the dais tomorrow morning.

Best,

Kathie Tovo
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member District 9
Council District 9