Item 55 - Paid Sick Leave stakeholders

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Jimmy Flannigan

Item 55 - Paid Sick Leave stakeholders

Post by Jimmy Flannigan »

Hoping to add Human Resource Management groups to the list of stakeholder organizations:

• Austin Human Resource Management Association
• Texas Society for Human Resource Management
• Texas Association of Staffing

I also support adding the Greater Austin Asian Chamber of Commerce to the list as was mentioned by CM Alter during work session today.
Jimmy Flannigan
Council Member, District 6
Christopher Hutchins

Re: Item 55 - Paid Sick Leave stakeholders

Post by Christopher Hutchins »

Council Member Houston suggests that we add the Texas Workforce Commission to the group since they are the arm of the State that most often handles employee complaints, unemployment issues and workers' compensation.
Greg Casar

Post by Greg Casar »

Colleagues,

Thank you for these suggestions. I've incorporated them and updated the resolution on the agenda.

Best,

Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Alison Alter

Post by Alison Alter »

I appreciated the productive conversation on item 55 at Tuesday's work session. Thank you Mr. Casar for incorporating the Austin Asian Chamber and the other groups highlighted by CMs Houston and Flannigan into the invited participants list. As I mentioned in work session, I also would like to see AISD added to the list of invited stakeholders. I also would like to refine the language in the appropriate section of the resolution to include exploring the cost to the City of enforcement/implementation. I believe that the simplest way to do this would be to add the words "and fund" to the last bullet under your first Be it Resolved clause on page 4. So it would now read:
- "How the City of Austin should manage and fund enforcement of private employer paid sick time."

Regards,
Alison Alter
Council Member, District 10