Item 58 RE: City’s Resources for Renters Webpage

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Item 58 RE: City’s Resources for Renters Webpage

Post by Steve Adler »

Colleagues,

I fully support Mayor Pro Tem Tovo’s resolution calling for additions to the city’s website to provide consolidated information on tenant resources and rights. I further support her call for continued support of efforts to create a data hub of all subsidized and unsubsidized complexes with affordable units within the City of Austin. I offer the following amendment to build upon the work outlined in the Mayor Pro Tem’s resolution, without impacting our staff’s timeline for delivering on those items.

In addition to making our current website more robust, the intent of the proposed amendment is to also confirm that we are doing all we can to ensure the opportunity to rent a subsidized unit is made equitably available to those most in need within the income guidelines of our density bonus and other affordable housing programs.

Inserted after current, last Resolved clause:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:

Without impacting the timeline for the above requested actions, the City Manager is directed to make recommendations to Council regarding best practices for ensuring that both information regarding availability and opportunities to lease subsidized rental units are made equitably available to households targeted for such housing, including consideration of the City taking a more direct role in the leasing of subsidized units to targeted populations.
Mayor