Convention Center briefing

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Convention Center briefing

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Dear Colleagues,

As Tuesday’s work session demonstrates, most of the Council has a strong interest in discussing together the different proposals that have come forward from the Waller Creek Conservancy, the Convention Center, and other Downtown stakeholders.

With regard to the Convention Center: my staff and I began meeting in October to discuss opportunities that may arise in the months ahead (namely, the possible sale of Palm School) as well as their expansion proposal. The Convention Center has developed multiple financial scenarios for Council consideration. While it’s my understanding that they have presented these to most of our Council offices, we have not had an opportunity to discuss these yet as a group.

The Convention Center staff were scheduled to provide a briefing at our work session on 12/14/16, but the briefing was postponed because of time constraints. I believe it would be useful to have this information at this point; Council Member Houston and I have sponsored this briefing for the 2/7 work session.

As I mentioned at Tuesday’s work session, I have been working with several members of the Travis County Commissioners Court to schedule a public meeting that would allow people to review and provide feedback about the Convention Center’s proposals (similar to the meeting Council Members Renteria and Houston sponsored for their constituents last fall). As many of you know, Commissioner Gomez is leading a work group focused on the Palm School; both CM Renteria and I serve on that group, and this meeting will also provide an opportunity for the public to provide ideas and feedback that would inform her work as well. We are still coordinating with Commissioners and other involved Council Members, but at this point it looks as if the meeting will happen on a Saturday morning in late February.

Best,

Kathie Tovo

Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member District 9
Council District 9
Leslie Pool

Re: Convention Center briefing

Post by Leslie Pool »

Kathie, this sounds like a good way to approach the need for all of us to be up-to-speed on the various initiatives underway downtown.

Thanks for organizing.

Leslie
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7