Grove PUD - Employer Assisted Housing

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

Grove PUD - Employer Assisted Housing

Post by Ann Kitchen »

All,

Following up on this morning’s post regarding the resolution proposed in Item 31 tomorrow, I want to bring to your attention to language in the 5th “Whereas” clause as well as language in my post on the subject last Friday. This language relates to the Landowners responsibilities regarding an employer assisted housing program. Tomorrow I will offer the following motion to the PUD Ordinance which will address those responsibilities.

Motion Sheet:

(1) I move to add a new subsection to Part 8 (Affordable Housing) of the ordinance related to the Landowner’s agreement to participate in an employer assisted housing program with the following characteristics:
a. Emphasizes assistance to employees who are in households with incomes that range from 40 percent to 60 percent of or below MFI.
b. Programs created by employers located within a 2 mile radius of the Grove PUD.

Actual text of new subsection: The Landowner agrees and the City Council intends that the Landowner participate in any employer assisted housing program that emphasizes assistance to employees who are in households within incomes that range from 40 percent to 60 percent of or below the MFI if created by an employer located within a two mile radius of the Grove PUD.

(2) I move to add a new part to the ordinance that obligates the Landowner to affirmatively market housing opportunities, including affordable housing opportunities, to employers whose place of business is located within a 2 mile radius of the Grove PUD and to the employees of those businesses.

Actual text of new Part: The Landowner shall affirmatively market housing opportunities, including affordable housing opportunities, to employers whose place of business is located within a two mile radius of the Grove PUD and employees whose place of employment is located within a two mile radius of the Grove PUD.
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Kathie Tovo

Re: Grove PUD - Employer Assisted Housing

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Thank you for this additional information, Council Member Kitchen. I do have the following questions related to this resolution:

(1) The resolution authorizes city funding for the program; what would be the authorized amount? Would this measure effect the actual authorization, or would that happen at a later date in conjunction with a budget amendment?

(2) The first Be It Resolved clause notes that the employer will pay the differential between "employee income (approximately 40% MFI) and affordable units at the Grove (approximately 60% MFI)." Would city funding then be limited just to administrative costs for the program?

thanks!

Kathie Tovo
Council District 9