Special Called Meeting RE: CodeNext

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Steve Adler

Special Called Meeting RE: CodeNext

Post by Steve Adler »

Council Members,

Special Called Meeting of the Austin City Council with the Land Development Code Advisory Group (CAG)
October 19th 2016 at 4:00 pm-6:00 pm
Town Lake Center Room 130
721 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704

We are nearing major milestones in the Code Next process to re-write our land development code. Adopting a new code is one of the most important things Council will undertake over the next year and half. The code impacts many critical issues in our city (including affordability and mobility) and the adoption of the re-write is a priority for our community. In late January, we expect our staff and consultants to present our community with a draft of the new code for discussion and feedback.

The dedicated volunteers on the Code Advisory Group (CAG) have expressed both a willingness and a desire to join us in a conversation about the issues raised in the prescription papers and how the Code Next process will move forward after the release of the draft code. There are complex issues and trade-offs that will need to be addressed as we consider the new code. The CAG has been working hard along with our staff and consultants on the key issues outlined in the prescription papers, and I agree that we would benefit from their participation in a discussion with us.

I will schedule a special joint work session of the Council and CAG to engage in such a discussion, and I hope as many council members as possible are able to participate. I am working with some of our council colleagues on a draft agenda and will post that draft soon.
Mayor