Cactus Rose on September 22

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Sabino Pio Renteria

Cactus Rose on September 22

Post by Sabino Pio Renteria »

Dear colleagues,

Since the beginning of the year, my staff and I have been working with residents, city staff, and the applicants to find solutions that reflect the desires and address the concerns of the Cactus Rose families.

With participation from the residents, we have explored several options, each with its merits and its faults. Now, after multiple postponements and many months since the zoning case first arose, Council is set to consider it this Thursday.

I believe it is of utmost importance that the families of Cactus Rose have a chance to be heard not just by me, but by all of my colleagues on the City Council this Thursday. Furthermore, it is important that city staff will be available to answer many questions relating to important factors, such as the lack of applicability of the recently passed Tenant Relocation Ordinance, the relocation strategies that city staff have previously explored, and legal insight regarding the various ways to solidify a relocation package.

My priority continues to be the safety, well-being, and self-determination of families in District 3. I have publicly stated my intention to vote against the zoning request if no agreement can be reached. However, Cactus Rose residents have explicitly asked me not to do that. In order to honor the request of Cactus Rose families, I plan on voting for the zoning change on first reading.

This will allow more time for the residents to negotiate a fair and enforceable agreement with the applicants. As always, I encourage the residents to seek legal representation in order to negotiate and formalize any agreement reached prior to second and third reading.

Sincerely,

Pio
Council Member District 3