Addressing Neighborhood Concerns about Grove Traffic

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Sheri Gallo

Addressing Neighborhood Concerns about Grove Traffic

Post by Sheri Gallo »

8/3/2016 – Proposal for Creation of Local Traffic Mitigation Fund

As our city’s population continues to explode, our most difficult challenge is providing protection of quality of life in the existing neighborhoods when denser community developments are planned around them. I recognize that infill projects can result in adverse effects on the surrounding neighborhoods, such as increased traffic congestion. I believe that finding and implementing solutions to this increased traffic congestion is a responsibility that should be shared by both the project owners and the City of Austin.

In the case of The Grove at Shoal Creek PUD infill development, the property owner (ARG) is already contributing funds in excess of what City Code would require if the property were to be developed under traditional zoning. As outlined in the July 11, 2016 City Staff Memo, ARG has agreed to the twelve (12) staff’s recommendations relating to transportation within their PUD zoning application. The July 11, 2016 City Staff Memo with all 12 of the staff recommendations and “Table 17 – List of improvements for Site Development” can be found online at http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=257961 (the staff recommendations start on page 20 of the staff memo).

Below are a few of the initial financial costs and dedication requirements ARG has agreed to as more specifically outlined in the July 11, 2016 City Staff Memo:

• ARG is required to post a fiscal surety in the amount of $750,000 to the City of Austin for construction of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge across Shoal Creek.
• ARG is required to post a fiscal surety to the City of Austin for all TIA improvements listed in Table 17 of the July 11, 2016 City Staff Memo. The total cost estimate for Phase 1 and 2 is $3,188,888.
o Total cost estimate for Phase 1 improvements is $2,855,388
o Total cost estimate for Phase 2 improvements is $333,500
• ARG must dedicate the right‐of‐way or easements at the southeast and northwest corners of the Bull Creek/45th Street intersection and dedicate the right‐of‐way along Bull Creek Road.

In addition to these initial costs and dedications, ARG is also required to fund and conduct a variety of future studies also outlined in the July 11, 2016 City Staff Memo:
• A signal warrant study for the intersection of Jackson Avenue and Bull Creek Road
• Study Jackson Avenue to determine appropriateness of additional mitigation to address traffic impacts from the development
• Within five years a revise/updated TIA to reflect future conditions

The Zoning and Platting Commission (ZAP) also recommended eleven (11) additional conditions be added as part of the zoning case, and the costs of these items will be paid by ARG. I will make sure all of these are included in the final zoning ordinance. The ZAP conditions related to traffic are:

• Provide an on street bike lane on northbound Bull Creek Road.
• Provide a minimum of eight (8) car-sharing parking spaces.
• If the proposed bicycle and pedestrian bridge is not constructed across Shoal Creek, then funds shall be shall be utilized for pedestrian and bike improvements east of the site.
• Provide a trail connection from the greenbelt to Jefferson Street.
• Consider working with the Transportation Review (ATD and DSD Departments) on a Transportation Demand Management Plan (TDM) prior to 3rd reading of the case at City Council to reduce vehicular trips to the site.

As you can see, ARG is already contributing money, time and effort to address the traffic impact of this project.

But as the City continues to encourage infill development, which is denser than the surrounding existing neighborhoods, I believe that the City has both an obligation and the responsibility to also participate financially in addressing the impact of the denser development. It is only fair for the City to also contribute funds to implement both immediate and long-term solutions to address the impact of increased traffic neighbors may experience and live with on a daily basis.

As the City realizes the benefit of increased property tax revenue from the development of this project, it is only right for the City to commit a portion of the increased revenue to address the concerns that every neighborhood adjacent to the Grove has about the effect of increased traffic.

Let me be very clear, I am not suggesting that the City’s allocation of property taxes take the place of the property owner’s required financial commitment. My intention is to make certain we have a source of additional money available to fund more traffic mitigation and safety solutions in a timely manner.

Based on recent conversations with representatives from the Ridgelea and Oakmont Heights Neighborhood Associations and the Bull Creek Road Coalition (BCRC) and hearing their requests for additional funding for off-site traffic mitigation and multi-modal improvements, I am proposing the creation of a Local Traffic Mitigation Fund as part of the zoning approval process of the Grove. This Fund will be resourced financially from a portion of the incremental tax generated from the Grove’s property taxes. The Fund will be used in the surrounding neighborhoods to pay for both immediate and long term improvements such as:

1) Traffic mitigation, calming and safety solutions for the neighborhoods
2) Multi-modal solutions to reduce vehicle traffic
3) Long-term implementation of Transportation Demand Management (TDM) programs for reducing vehicle traffic
4) Projects directed at improving vehicle throughput
5) Sidewalk improvements to facilitate safe routes to the AISD assigned elementary school for the students living in the Grove and other neighborhood children attending the same school

I recommend that 100% of the total City property taxes generated by The Grove project should be allocated to the Local Traffic Mitigation Fund until $6 million is payed into the Fund and then continue forward at 50% allocation until 2037.

The Fund would be spent on improvements which would be prioritized jointly by the neighborhoods and the City of Austin Transportation and Public Works Departments.

This is a new and innovative solution, and my District 10 Office is working with City Staff to continue to move this concept forward. I will provide updates as our work with City Staff progresses.

I encourage my fellow Council Members to join me in supporting a guaranteed long-term financial commitment by the City of Austin to these surrounding neighborhoods. This allow us to implement a variety of solutions addressing the increased traffic impact on the adjacent homes and residential streets from the development of this infill property. Thank you.
Sheri Gallo, Council Member District 10