Mobility Bond, D6 and other suburban Congestion Relief

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Don Zimmerman

Mobility Bond, D6 and other suburban Congestion Relief

Post by Don Zimmerman »

Dear Council Colleagues,

I am excited with all the talk regarding a Mobility Bond. The City has gone far too long without a Congestion Relief Plan and adequate funding. Our residents have been imploring us to do something to relieve traffic congestion.

Looking at the various bond proposals, ranging from $200M-$720M, I believe we need to make sure that all the Council Districts have input into the final project list. We need to make sure that the suburbs (including Districts 1, 2, 6, 8, and 10) are adequately represented.

For District 6, the three major congestion areas are: the 620/2222 exchange, Anderson Mill Rd (especially from Olson to US 183), and Parmer Lane between 1431 and 45. I realize there are a variety of plans/options for each of these. However, if a lower bond package amount is accepted, a combined minimum of $30M will be needed for these projects. If the $720M bond package is accepted, then approximately $40-50M will be needed to fix these three areas.

Also, as a condition of my supporting any bond package, the Council will need to include each specific project and dollars amounts to the ballot language. While this will lengthen the ballot language, it will drastically reduce confusion as to where the bond money is allocated.

I believe there is room in the proposed Mobility Bonds to build a strong coalition that will have broad support throughout the City with voters. I look forward to working with the Council this week as well as the next few months to craft a viable solution that will help our City!
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)