Charter for Compassion Resolution: Item 5, Apr 14

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Don Zimmerman

Charter for Compassion Resolution: Item 5, Apr 14

Post by Don Zimmerman »

CM Colleagues,

The video clip below captures today's work session discussion over my objections to the "Compassionate Communities Campaign" Resolution.

I still don't have an answer as to whether "...the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity, and respect" as expressed in The Charter for Compassion, finally extends a right to life for unborn human beings.

If so, as an act of "compassion", I should be hopeful that Council will terminate the $1 per year commercial real estate lease to Planned Parenthood, which has been in place for the past 40 years or so.

Additionally, in light of the new City Auditor's report on Austin Code Compliance, will any "compassion" be shown to Austin residents and small business wrongfully targeted by $2,000 Code Compliance fines and threats to have utilities disconnected because of misplaced priorities and management mistakes?

I remain convinced that religion has formally entered the city council policy discussion, and I intend to continue this conversation on Thursday. Please reply with your thoughts and comments.

https://video.snapstream.net/Play/3ABgz ... pgfash17ei

ATXN 24/7 Recording - 9:37:52 AM - 9:46:43 AM
Show: ATXN 24/7 Recording (Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:00 AM, CH 6 (ATXN))
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)
Don Zimmerman

Re: Charter for Compassion Resolution: Item 5, Apr 14

Post by Don Zimmerman »

CM Colleagues,

Here are the 3 amendments I proposed today (requested posting from constituent).

Item #5, Compassion Resolution – Zimmerman Amendment “A”

Amend by adding a new 5th and 6th WHEREAS clause to read:

“WHEREAS, Compassion impels us to work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of our fellow creatures, to dethrone ourselves from the center of our world and put another there, and to honor the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity and respect; and”

“WHEREAS, One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason; One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone; the spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word; and”

Item #5, Compassion Resolution – Zimmerman Amendment “B”

Amend by adding a new last WHEREAS clause to read:

“WHEREAS, Jesus of Nazareth was recorded in the New Testament (Luke 4:8) saying, “The Scriptures say, 'You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.'"”

Item #5, Compassion Resolution – Zimmerman Amendment “C”

Amend by striking out the last BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED clause and replace with:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: The City Council of Austin recognizes April 16-24 as “Serve the Lord Week” and, recognizing that “We are All Compassionate Austin,” encourages city departments, area school districts, community and faith groups, and all residents to participate in Compassion Games during “Serve the Lord Week;” to identify, activate, celebrate and honor compassionate actions throughout the community; and encourages our community to continue to develop policies, procedures, strategies, and practical guidance on the integration of compassion in day-to-day life to address the holistic wellness of the community, especially of those most at risk.
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)