Short-Term Rental Amendments

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Joi Harden

Short-Term Rental Amendments

Post by Joi Harden »

I am posting on behalf of Mayor Pro Tem Tovo. Please see her comments below.
Joi

Colleagues:
At Monday's meeting of the Planning and Neighborhoods committee, I proposed the following amendments. As I noted at yesterday's work session, the other members of the committee elected not to discuss these because of the late hour but to defer them to the September meeting.

Amendments
- Implement an immediate suspension on all new Type 2 short term rental licenses until new code enforcement amendments and processes are in place, and schedule a public hearing six months after the date of rules adoption to gauge effectiveness and consider revisions.

- Initiate a phased-in process to limit Type 2 short term rentals to commercially zoned areas, and require Conditional Use Permits for continued operation of Type 2s in single family zoning.

- Prohibit use of STRs for large gatherings, such as weddings, bachelor parties, etc.

- For any STR application or license renewal, require both owner and property manager to certify that they have no outstanding code or APD violations within last two years.

- Repeal provision that allows 25% of multifamily units in commercially zoned areas to be removed from rental market as Type 3 STRs, and cap at no more than 1-3%.

- Clarify that Type 2 STRs and non-owner occupied Type 3s are subject to federal ADA requirements as commercial places of lodging.

Please note that I have removed a few proposed amendments that have already been covered within the Code department's recommendations. I am also doing further work on a proposed accessory dwelling unit amendment and plan to refine this amendment based on information from City staff.

Thanks,
Kathie
Mayor Pro Tem, District 9
Policy Aide
Office of Kathie Tovo, Mayor Pro Tem District 9