Mobility Committee: transportation fees

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Kathie Tovo

Mobility Committee: transportation fees

Post by Kathie Tovo »

Colleagues:
During the discussion about the Garza tract, I submitted the several questions through the agenda process; I have re-posted these below with the answers. I have also submitted additional questions to staff. In light of agenda item #5 on tomorrow's Mobility Committee, I thought I'd post these here. I don't believe I will be able to attend tomorrow's committee meeting, but I hope these questions can be addressed in the context of the larger discussion.

COUNCIL Q&A
Items 30 & 31
QUESTION (MAYOR PRO TEM TOVO):
At the February 26, 2015, City Council meeting, staff discussed the approximately $45,000 that would be
collected toward transportation improvements in the area. Has money been collected from other
developments in this area? If so, please indicate the total amount collected for each development,
where the developments are located, when that money was collected, and whether it has been used for
transportation improvements. Is there a time limit for these transportation fees to be spent? If so, what
happens if the time period expires but a sufficient amount of money has not been collected to complete
the improvements?

RESPONSE:
Staff has located two rezoning cases at the intersection of MoPac Expressway and William Cannon Drive
that included a Traffic Impact Analysis. The first is the original Forum Planned Unit Development which
was approved by Council on April 8, 1999 (C814-98-0001, Ordinance No. 990408-14). The total amount
of improvements for sidewalks, turn lanes, modification of a median, pavement marking and traffic
signals was $654,806, and of that total, the Applicant's share was $217,609. Staff is unable to confirm at
this time that the referenced amount was posted and/ or spent. Further research is required.
The second case was the Costco development (C814-98-0001.01, Ordinance No. 040902-54), and the
Applicant was required to post 100% of the intersection improvements at Brodie and William Cannon
(an additional northbound and south bound left hand turn lane) and at Brush Country and Convict Hill
(installation of a traffic signal). The improvements totaled $191,715. The City is holding fiscal for C814-
98-0001.01. In November 2008 Public Works placed a draw for $97,256.96 of the $110,000.00 posted
for Brush Country & Convict Hill. They released the balance they did not use. That leaves the $81,715
we are still holding for Brodie & William Cannon.
There is no time limit for these fees to be spent.

Additional questions submitted to Transportation staff:

• Have staff been able to confirm whether the applicant’s share of $217,609 referenced above was posted and/or spent?

• With regard to the Costco development, was the City required to release the $12,743.04 remaining? If so, why? If not, why was the money released?

• Please provide information about what development triggered the $81,715 for Brodie and William Cannon, and whether there is a deadline for spending that money.

• Are there ever time limits imposed for spending transportation fees that have been collected? If so, what are the limits?

• Over the last 5 years, have any transportation fees been refunded to developers? If so, please describe the specific circumstances.

thanks!

Kathie Tovo
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member District 9
Council District 9