Item #18 regarding Fun Fun Fun Fest

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Greg Casar

Item #18 regarding Fun Fun Fun Fest

Post by Greg Casar »

Hi colleagues,

I’m writing to provide more information about a resolution I’ve sponsored for our Council Meeting next week regarding Fun Fun Fun Fest.

As many of you know, the organizers of Fun Fun Fun Fest have shared concerns about their future at Auditorium Shores. In recent days, the Parks Department and the festival organizers have worked hard to come to a solution that would allow the festival to continue, while also respecting the needs of regular park users, especially relating to the new off-leash dog area, trail access and water access at the newly renovated Auditorium Shores set to open this summer.

The stakeholders have not yet reached a resolution to this issue. We’re hopeful that by Thursday’s meeting, the issue will be resolved. If the issues are fully resolved, I will withdraw this item. However, we have posted Item #18 as a placeholder for Council to amend in case a policy direction from Council is needed to execute a mutually acceptable arrangement between the festival, the department and other community stakeholders.

We’re committed to making sure Austin’s music scene thrives, while also respecting the many other important (and primary) uses of our central city parkland.

Going forward, for future years, we hope that the Parkland Events Taskforce can develop policy recommendations long-term for Auditorium Shores.

Thank you to Mayor Adler, Mayor Pro Tem Tovo and Council Member Pool for cosponsoring this item so that we have the opportunity to address any unresolved issues next Thursday.

I look forward to discussing this with you more next week.

Sincerely,
Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4