Item #93 on June 18, 2015 Agenda

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Greg Casar

Item #93 on June 18, 2015 Agenda

Post by Greg Casar »

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I'm unable to be at work session today. I am traveling but I will return before our Thursday meeting.

I am writing to share with you some concerns I have regarding Item #93. I'll be bringing amendments to ensure that we maintain the goal of geographic equity for transportation funding, prioritize the projects with the greatest need, and ensure that the majority will of Council approves these appropriation decisions. Although we were each elected by individual geographic districts, I believe we should not make appropriations based primarily on these political boundaries.

I look forward to discussing this further on Thursday.

Thank you,
Greg
Gregorio "Greg" Casar
Council Member District 4
Donna Tiemann

Re: Item #93 on June 18, 2015 Agenda

Post by Donna Tiemann »

Council Member Kitchen continued work on the 1/4 Cent Fund resolution with Mobility Committee Members and presented the following changes at Council Work Session this morning:

Item # 93-

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF AUSTIN:
The City Manager is directed after approval by Council to disperse equitably across all Council Districts the remainder $21.8 Million from the Capital Metro 1/4 Cent Fund to pay for infrastructure improvement projects that address district specific and/or citywide priorities for improving mobility as determined by each Council District Member and the Mayor. The City Manager shall provide the list of proposed projects to the Mobility Committee for review no later than August 5th, and the Committee will forward recommendations to Council for action no later than August 27, 2015.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The City Manager shall identify projects for which the funding can be used that address the following purposes:
• Transportation safety
• Improved access to schools
• New traffic signals
• Existing infrastructure needs
• Traffic calming
• Improved access to transit
• Other transportation/mobility needs as outlined in the ¼ Cent Fund interlocal agreement criteria with Capital Metro, those being:
1. Enhances regional mobility;
2. Supports public transit;
3. Provides leverage for federal or private funds;
4. Adds to an existing program; or,
5. Expedites a critical mobility project.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The City Manager shall provide staff from the City’s Transportation Department and Public Works Department to work with the Mayor and Council Offices to identify individual District needs and/or potential projects that meet the purposes for use of the ¼ Cent funds, including citywide projects that impact all parts of the city. The projects presented during the public comment to Mobility Committee on June 3, 2015 are included as examples of projects that should be included in evaluation for each district / citywide.
Chief of Staff
Office of Council Member Ann Kitchen, District 5
Don Zimmerman

Post by Don Zimmerman »

CM Casar,

Thanks for chiming in.
I contend that the 10-1 system was voted in so constituents would have more local control, where technically feasible, for setting priorities through their elected council members. As a District 6 Representative, I don't want to be charged with voting on local priorities for your D4 or any other District. In fact, I only want to discern the highest and best use for limited dollars in D6 based on feedback from D6 constituents. Austin traffic and public works engineers have already identified many worthwhile projects that lack funding; it only makes sense to empower elected representatives - us - to help prioritize those projects within the limited dollars available. Council members directly represent voters. City staff does not. I favor the Mayor having review and veto power over council member decisions that appear unwise or politically motivated.

Looking forward to more discussion.
Don
Don Zimmerman
Council Member District 6 (northwest Austin)
Donna Tiemann

Post by Donna Tiemann »

Below is the most recent version distributed this morning on the dais:

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF AUSTIN:
The City Manager is directed after approval by Council to develop a proposal to disperse equitably across all Council Districts the remainder $21.8 Million from the Capital Metro 1/4 Cent Fund to pay for infrastructure improvement projects that address district specific and/or citywide priorities for improving mobility as determined by each Council District Member and the Mayor. The City Manager shall provide the list of proposed projects including a description of the contributing impact and purpose the proposed projects are addressing, to the Mobility Committee for review no later than August 5th, 2015 and the Committee will forward recommendations to Council for action no later than August 27, 2015.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The City Manager shall identify projects for which the funding can be used that address the following purposes:
• Transportation safety
• Improved access to schools
• New traffic signals
• Existing infrastructure needs
• Traffic calming
• Improved access to transit
• Other transportation/mobility needs as outlined in the ¼ Cent Fund interlocal agreement criteria with Capital Metro, those being:
1. Enhances regional mobility;
2. Supports public transit;
3. Provides leverage for federal or private funds;
4. Adds to an existing program; or,
5. Expedites a critical mobility project.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The City Manager shall provide staff from the City’s Transportation Department and Public Works Department to work with the Mayor and Council Offices to identify individual District needs and/or potential projects that meet the purposes for use of the ¼ Cent funds, including citywide projects (urban and suburban) that impact all parts of the city. The projects presented during the public comment to Mobility Committee on June 3, 2015 are included as examples of projects that should be included in evaluation for each district / citywide.
Chief of Staff
Office of Council Member Ann Kitchen, District 5