Explanation of Challenge Process and Payment of Taxes

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

Explanation of Challenge Process and Payment of Taxes

Post by Ann Kitchen »

All

CM Pool and I confirmed with the Tax Assessor Collector Bruce Elfant that the following language accurately reflects this piece of the proposed process, in the event that the City Council moves forward with the challenge to the appraised value of commercial property. We will share more information as it develops.

We are sharing this information with our constituents in an effort to address some of the questions the public has about this process. You are welcome to post and /or otherwise send this information out to your District.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Can I still take a deduction for property taxes on my 2015 federal tax return?

Yes, you can deduct the amount of property taxes that you pay before December 31, 2015.

The Travis County Tax Office must mail tax bills by October 1st or as soon after as practicable. See Tax Code § 31.01. The Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector collects on behalf of over 117 taxing units, in addition to the City of Austin.

The tax bill includes the total tax rate and the amount of tax due. If the Tax Office does not have this information in time to send before December 31st, and sends tax bills after the end of the year, an individual may still pay an estimated amount of their taxes before the end of the year.

You may also sign up to receive your tax bill electronically and pay online, which provides access to your bill faster and helps the Tax Office improve efficiency. For more information on property tax payments, see https://tax-office.traviscountytx.gov
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5