Flood Mitigation Initiative

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Ann Kitchen

Flood Mitigation Initiative

Post by Ann Kitchen »

All

I have been consulting with neighborhood representatives on flood mitigation issues, particularly for the Onion Creek and Williamson Creek areas in District 5. As is painfully apparent today, this is a very serious issue for all of Austin.

I will be reaching out to my colleagues to discuss creating a special Task Force to deal with flood mitiation and related issues. Please let me know if you are interested in working with me, as I craft language to bring to Council.

Thank you and wishing a safe rest of the weekend for you and your constituents
Ann Kitchen
Council Member District 5
Leslie Pool

Re: Flood Mitigation Initiative

Post by Leslie Pool »

Portions of two primary watersheds north of the river run through District 7. Shoal Creek jumped its banks where it always does .... and Walnut Creek was running high. I would be interested in joining the conversation. I went out to check the creeks a couple times today and one positive take-away was the absence of loose debris, junked cars or appliances, and tree limbs coming down the creeks. From the vantage points where I viewed it, the water was running fast and high, but was free of obstacles. I remember hearing about the dead cow that washed up in Barton Creek in the flood of 1981.
Leslie Pool
Mayor Pro Tem
Council Member, District 7
Christopher Hutchins

Re: Flood Mitigation Initiative

Post by Christopher Hutchins »

Council Member Houston would like to suggest that we hold a briefing and assessment of public need relating to flood control/mitigation from the Watershed Department, Public Works and Austin Water Utility at the next or a near future council meeting before forming a Task Force in order to better understand the technical aspects and challenges on a city-wide scale.
Policy Aide
Office of Ora Houston, District 1