Logging miles of activity & cutting traffic- incl. contests

Only City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board.
Brandi Clark Burton

Logging miles of activity & cutting traffic- incl. contests

Post by Brandi Clark Burton »

There at least three reasons (besides this great mild weather) to get out your sneakers and dust off your bike (or register for B-Cycle – discounted for City Staff) and go pick up your bus pass from HR if you haven’t already:

1) Today is the first day of the Million Mile Month and Judge Eckhardt threw down a challenge that the County staff could log more miles per capita than the City staff. Let's go Austin! MMM is the City of Austin Wellness Program for April.
* To join: Go to http://millionmilemonth.org.Sign up (payment is optional if you want gear and stuff), select Organization: City of Austin and then Team: Mayor & Council. Then start logging miles you walk, bike, or participate in other forms of active transportation.
2) The CAMPO Commute Solutions Commuter Contest runs from April 1 through April 24. This is a great time to try an alternate commute such as riding the bus, taking the train, carpooling, vanpooling, walking, biking, or teleworking. Save money, help keep our air cleaner, and have a chance to win great prizes. All you need to do is log your bicycling, walking, transit, teleworking, vanpooling and/or carpooling trips to be entered for a chance to win.
* To join the contest, go to the myCommuteSolutions website, register, and keep a daily log of your alternate commutes. Existing myCommuteSolutions users will just need to sign in and log your commute. It’s free and it’s easy. Click on “Incentives – Contests” for more information on details and prizes.
3) On top of that fun stuff, as part of his Traffic Congestion Action Plan, this week the City Manager publicly committed the City of Austin to participate in the 20/20 Mobility pledge which means reducing drive-alone time during peak traffic by 20% (by 2020, but we can act sooner). That’s one day a week of walking, biking, busing, carpooling, driving off-peak or telecommuting.
* To join – Talk with the team in your office about ways to participate in the type of activities mentioned above. I’m not sure what the recording methodology is for this yet but if you are taking actions and tracking through one of those other systems you’ll have good data, and geed habits.

It’s good for your body, for our local air quality and for our traffic congestion. It’s also good for you financially.
I’ve tried out B-Cycle, Carma Carpooling, Cap Metro (via different apps), riding my bike and using the facilities at City Hall. I can help get you started if you need any support.

Brandi Clark Burton
Office of Mayor Steve Adler, City of Austin
512-978-2100
512-939-9776
Policy Advancement
Office of the Mayor